before ya buy a ferret

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Laurie LeAnn

before ya buy a ferret

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am

looking at Toby is all cute and awwe and I want one but I will tell ya just co owning one in my house is a big pain in the tush and they are expensive! high maintenance, have lots of energy! FOOD: runs about 20$ a bag, this a small bag it will last ya about a month and can't have veggies in it, we get zupreem. there are lots of them out there some are better than others. LITTER! it has to be the recycled paper pellet type no pine or cedar in it. no chemicals either..about 10$ -15$ a bag depending where ya get it. WATER: bottled spring water, we use a bowl, the bottle method is hard to get a drink and he wasn't drinking much, as soon as we switched he was drinking a lot more!SLEEP: they do sleep a lot, but when they are awake they want out of the cage to play, and you must ferret proof your house. they need either you to play with them for a bit or a buddy, like ferret or a kitten that has grew up with them, in my opinion a puppy is to rough.They want to be out for a while to.. Toby is usually out in the morning for about an hour or two depending how much time i have, I have hands on play and wear him out then he eats and sleeps most of the day { I think } then when KYLE gets home he lets him out and he out for about 4 hours and ususally ends up crashing somewhere under the bed or he crawls in his cage and passes out on his own. CAGES: 1 ferret still needs a good sized cage, toby has the super size or super pet style, it's green and purple, has 3 levels, he will need a bigger cage soon. They need sleeping hammocks to, he has 2, these run about 20$ each and they need to be washed once a week. FERRET CARE: they need bathed only once a month, you do it to much they will smell worse, males usually are sold fixed, but if they are not .I would get it done or they will stink!!nails need to clipped and do it carefully POOP: a ferret will back up in corners and will generally go in the same spot if he sees the box, keep the edge of the box low, some ferrets will go in the cage but out of the cage they just go right by the box, go figure? Toby does this. I I see him I go scoop him up put him in and he goes. TOYS: small stuffed animals, hard teething toys, no gel types! squeaky toys, ball with jingles bells, boxes with holes cut in them, recycle bags { toby loves his laharpe library cloth bag! } SHOTS!!! they need distemper shots and rabies the distemper first you find a vet and ask the vet if they have handle a ferret in the past and given distemper shots to ferrets, if they have not done so find an other vet! if they don't give the right shot they can kill your ferret! , ferrets love to dig at carpet to and if you have closed doors they will dig at them saying hey what's on the other side!!well this is just some of things I have gone through in 2 months time of having toby the house guest..

rototee

before ya buy a ferret

Post by rototee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Sounds like a lot of work, but work well worth it! LOL

jenok

before ya buy a ferret

Post by jenok » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:50 pm

At LaurieWhy can't you use cat litter? A few years ago when I had one (died of old age) that is what I used. Since they back up in the corner I purchased a corner litter box, but I would think you could cut the side out of a milk jug and use it to. Note to anyone wanting a ferret. Not all ferrets are good natured and/or kid friendly. Mine was very good with my daughter but I have seen many others turn out mean. They have teeth and can/will use them. Everything else that Laurie has mentioned is also correct. They are not an ahh how cute I want one purchase, they require constant care, maintance, and plenty of patience.

Laurie LeAnn

before ya buy a ferret

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:48 pm

cat litter has been found to cause dust and it causes upper respiratory problems. it also gets stuck in the females sex parts and males bums after they poop because they scoot, causes tears and irritation. can cause sores on their feet to. If they ate it then you are looking at really big issues..so now they say wood type or recycle paper pellets only and only made from aspen or news paper based only. keep in mind this is up to date and current news not from " years ago". from ferret.com forum