Ranting--WARNING extreme hostility inside.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
kitty_LHC

Post by kitty_LHC » Fri May 12, 2006 9:58 am

hey s'up,I hate where I work. I hate students, parents, and administrators. There! I said it. Now fire me.I have one class that is especially challenging and high maintanence. So much so that they were trouble the first day of class when most kids are quiet because they do not know you. Not these little darlings. And all but three of them labeled "At Risk" students. That is a very unfair ratio to dump on a teacher and extremely unfair to all students; both the ones who are at risk because they need extra attention and the ones who aren't because all the disruptions make it near impossible for me to teach a single lesson.One student in particular has cussed in class, insulted me, insulted other students, discussed his prevalent drug usage in class and much, much more. Despite all this I have tried working with him because deep down it is obvious he has a good heart, plus he is extremely intelligent. But one day he crossed a line. He not only discussed sex quite graphically but talked about "private" parts in detail. Since he was asked to stopped and refused that is technically sexual harassment not just according to school policy but state law. The AP talked to him for 30 minutes and determined he just needed a good heart-to-heart because I had hurt his feelings. Plus he doesn't want him to end up in prison for selling pot like his brother. Plus, their family is friends with his family. Plus, the previous year his mother threatened to sue the school because everyone was picking on her baby. The AP told me flat out he knows the boy is selling drugs on campus so we need to work together to get him on the right path. ?! I say it again. ?! Fine. I agreed to a little conference but the guy never bother to set it up.A couple of weeks pass. Then this kid, in class, threatens to have a female student jumped and beat to a bloody pulp because she stood up to him when he ruined her project. Oh heck no. That is a violent physical threat. I was scared too. He wouldn't calm down and was extremely belligerent. I was sure he was going to hit me. I went straight to the AP. He said he was too busy and that he would deal with it if he got the time. ?!Again he broke the law and nothing happened. When he came to class the next day I was livid and walked out. But all the principals were in a meeting because of a fight. I told the secretary what had been going on and she went into the meeting to talk to the principal. He was immediately removed frommy class. (School policy states that he should have immediately been suspended.) Well guess what, he came to class again today. I just gave up. All week long teacher's have been experiencing similar things. One student tried to poison another and got suspended. Another student threatened a teacher and got expelled. Threats must be worse than poisonings. OK, fine. Two students were caught in a class with drugs. The boy was arrested and taken away in handcuffs. The girl was sent back to class. A boy who hit another student got a warning (also a violation of policy) but a student watching the fight got suspended for watching it and not reporting it. Mind you, it was a fight--there were numerous onlookers who got no punishment.I can't wait for this all to be over. On top of everything else I received a letter stating that I have been assigned freshmen next year. All the tenth grade English teachers are moving to the other campus. (My campus is going to be ninth grade only next year.) That may not sound so bad but I have accumulated tons of great stuff for tenth grade, my students this year have been working on projects for my next year students which will be useless since I will not be teaching Arthurian legends anymore and the new department I am in just works independently from each other whereas, my old department planned as a group which we gained numerous recognition for fromthe smae people splitting us up. I am frustrated and angry. Things weren't always this bad. The AP I have been dealing with has always been the strict, by-the-book type of guy. If you sent a student to him, you knew they were going to be appropriately and fairly dealt with. Despite the fact that I learned the test scores for my team have gone up 19% (a major acheivement) I feel I am being punished instead of the student who really needs it.He has learned that he does not have to be responsible for his misbehavior. That is a dangerous lesson for him.Done.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 10:08 am

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. School sure is different from when I went. It's a shame this boy in your class can't be caught behaving like this by the principal. Maybe you could set up a tape recorder & record what's being said in class? I mean..if the president of the U.S. can montior every day citizens for security reasons, why shouldn't you monitor your classroom for your security?Or if you had a palm corder that would be even better. Video is always good. You could also make an anonymous tip to your local TV News program dropping a dime about how the administration is allowing drug deals, violent threats, & sexual harrassment to happen while in school.I'm just trying to think of ways to help you get through to the people in charge that dangerous things are going on.I wish there was something I could do to help. I'm so sorry you're so upset. We love you here on LHC!

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Fri May 12, 2006 10:16 am

I'm so sorry the consistancy is so rotten. You seem like an awesome teacher stuck in a lousy school. They aren't treating you fairly, they aren't treating the kids fairly. Sounds like someone's slipped something in the drinking water.

Topic author
adoll

Post by adoll » Fri May 12, 2006 10:57 am

It is amazing what teachers have to put up with on a day to day basis...and then to be credited as 'glorified babysitters' (especially in the younger grades) and not paid nearly what they should be for the amount of work, time and effort that is put into everyday of school. Ugh!Maybe I'm biased since I'm graduating tomorrow with 2 teaching degrees but I think that if more people understood what was going on they might have a different feeling about teachers. And I could really go on but that would take all night and it might not all be appropriate on here *zips lips*I'm sorry for your horrible week. I have little ones and in one of the classes I just finished teaching I have a totally nonverbal girl who just turned 4 (and is very big for her age) and its quite possible she has autism. It's hard to know sometimes if she understands you and she can't really communicate much to us. One day last week she got mad at me because I wouldn't let her go down the slide head first and do some other dangerous things and she proceeded to scratch me and herself and later tried to bite me. But yeah...teachers don't have to do any hard work or deal with anything stressful. We just have the kids for a few hours and send them home so its easy right? (note the sarcasm...)We never are kept up nights worrying about kids who don't have a good or stable home life, wishing we could just bring them home with us sometimes to get them away from everything. I gave my teacher a new microwave for the classroom today (it was my last day and theirs broke weeks ago), they werent sure if they could get a new one (because there is no money) and they feed the kids a snack everyday so we need to have that in the room. It made my teacher cry. A microwave. Do you know anyone who was so happy to receive a microwave and touched enough for that gift that it made them cry? ok ok ok I'm really stopping now... I miss my little kiddos already, I wish they were in school on Fridays!!

Katy

Post by Katy » Fri May 12, 2006 11:29 am

I really really feel for you Kitty. I can't believe all that's going on in your school...it's crazy!!Have you tried to set up a meeting with this student's parent(s) ?I mean this kid is a threat to you and the entire class...to the entire school for that matter!I've heard (and witnessed) kids misbehaving in school but this is seriously overboard.I'm at a loss for words Kitty.
Katy Michelle

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Fri May 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Kitty, I'm sorry things are so awful for you. Good grief! I know kids that were suspended when I was in school for far, far less than what you're dealing with. It sounds like a no-win situation for you if the AP won't take this seriously, and the parent is lawsuit-happy.The whole thing is frightening (to me), and that's no way for a teacher to do his or her job. Our schools here are full of discipline problems that are literally unmanaged as the teachers' hands are tied. I volunteer a lot in the elementary school helping the kids with writing and centers and I had a kindergartener yelling at me last week when I asked him to please finish his work and he didn't want to. His parents have been called numerous times about his behavior and they just laugh. As a whole, I think society is declining. I wish you could find somewhere to teach where you would feel less threatened. You are doing a great job with your students if the test scores are up that much but it must sometimes feel like a hollow victory with students like this boy.
~ crabbing since 2003

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Fri May 12, 2006 3:05 pm

That's a tough situation for you to be in for numerous reasons Kitty. I'd like to think you could override this lame*** AP and call the police for some of the more serious stuff?Any chance you could draft a letter detailing the escalating violence where you feel resolution has been insufficient or absent altogether and send it to the AP with cc's to his superiors? It may not resolve past issues but could have an affect on how he handles future ones. (always make sure to keep a copy for yourself). How come you only get to deal with the assistant?
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author
Froggz37

Post by Froggz37 » Fri May 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Oh my goodness, that really is scary! I'm sorry you have to go through that, its so much added stress that you don't need. I agree about going a level up with the complaint, its a very valid one, expecially if you and students are being harassed and threatened. Its amazing how much young people can act out when there is something going on inside their head. I really hope it works itself out, you sound like an awesome teacher and I'd hate to see the "good" students loose someone like you.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Fri May 12, 2006 8:03 pm

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. They are teaching that student of yours a very dangerous lesson indeed. I like CrabbyAbby's suggestions - especially the one about calling in police if that's possible. *hugs* You are doing a great job and I hope that things will get better for you.
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 13, 2006 2:06 am

I think that most parents who think of teachers as "glorified babysitters" believe this because their own parenting style consists of not much beyond clothing and feeding the kid.I talked with a teacher here in our district who said that if she can get the kids to do 15 solid minutes of work every hour, then it's been a good day. Can you imagine? That means that for every six to eight hours of schooltime, the kids are getting a maximum of two hours of learning accomplished. Teachers are some of the most overworked, underpaid people in this country. I totally agree with Nicole - other than parents, who shapes a society more than its teachers? If the U.S. continues to hold people like you, Kitty, so cheaply, we're in a lot of trouble. It's a crime (literally) that you're having to go through this - you're in our thoughts...

Topic author
rottiegirl25

Post by rottiegirl25 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:57 am

Wow!!!! I can't imagine having to deal with what you have to on a daily basis. this sadly sounds like some of the schools where i live. guns, drugs, gangs, the whole nine yards these schools have actual police in them all day long. metal dectectors and drug dogs. they are trying to clean up the schools around here. My neice goes to private school "catholic" there are no nuns now and the teachers are afraid of the kids from Youngstown a near by city. one girl in particular is three times bigger then the reat of the 6th graders bullies and picks on them all especially me neice who like me is chubby. her problems have been going on since the end of last year when this brat came to the school. this year on sevreal occasions she took kats lunch told her she was fat and didn't need to eat. stole her stuff money, drinks, school books. pluss a lot of name calling. My sister has been to the school so many times you can't even count them every teacher meeting and what not. so mid point of the year this kid asked to be moved right next to Kat the moved her there; the situation got worse my sister asked the teacher to please move kat and she said she couldn't cause this other kid picks on everyone fair i think not. so last week this kid took kats drink at lunch took her .25 cents and stole her water for gym Kat got upset then mad stold her water back hit the kid with it then ran scared of what might happen next the girl chases after her punches her in the back Kat turns around anf hits her a couple more times with the water bottle before the teacher finally breaks it up. they got to the office both get suspended for five day. Sister flies into school from work tells everyone off and all they could say phiscal violance is not tolerated then asked if kat would be returning next year ahe said no way. brought kat her and told her not to worry. Kat didn't get in trouble we were glad she stood up for herself; but she wouldn't have had to if any of the adminstration or teachers could handle the bad kids there aren't many in this school but they are afraid of thme and kat didn't want to finish out the year cause she is afraid the girl is going to hurt her. things like this are so unfair. i can't blame the teacher in all situations alot comes back to the parents not teaching there kids repect, and proper behavior. I give alot of credit to the good teachers who care there are alot out there unfortunalt my neice didn't have one this year. You sound like an awesome teacher and should not have to be put though this. i sure hope things work out for you. Gid blessStacey

Topic author
tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Sat May 13, 2006 8:37 am

Kitty your rant sounds similar to what I hear daily from my husband, who teaches high school. His biggest struggle is administrators and fellow teachers who do not consistently enforce the rules, and in many cases do nothing at all when students are sent to the office. Another problem he deals with is administrators trying to pressure him to "pass" a student by adding "1 or 2" points. Well, 1 point added to an average represents maybe 20 points spread out over all the daily grades. In the 20+ yrs. he's been teaching and coaching, my husband has noticed quite a change for the worse in the kids' attitudes, but we all know that there have always been at least a few students who are troublemakers. You would think that an increased awareness in mental health over the past decade or so would have made things better, not worse. It's sad to know that there must be really serious issues causing the bad behavior that go unaddressed. And the whole class suffers as a result because you have to spend time dealing with it. Of course this is that time of year when the students try with all their might to see what they can get away with. It's enough to put anyone over the edge. Hang in there, school's almost out for the summer.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 13, 2006 9:03 am

When my mom first started at the High school where she works now, it was like that. All the at risk kids were put in the same classes, there were basic classes and it was horrible. Now, a few years later, the high school has changed a lot. There are no more basic classes. There are no classes that are all at risk students. Now there is only a few per class, which makes the at risk students less likely to be at risk, and they work harder. I know it isn't like that for you, but hang in there. School is nearly over for the year. I sincerely hope next year and the next few weeks are a lot better.

Topic author
kitty_LHC

Post by kitty_LHC » Wed May 17, 2006 1:48 am

quote:Sounds like someone's slipped something in the drinking water. Let's see...who is it around here that makes funny drinks? KC, stay away from my school!JK! I really feel a lot better hearing all the support. Sometimes at the end of the day it feels like everyone is against me. Oddly enough, the student has behaved extremely well since then. He's still in my class everyday though. I just got state test results yesterday and his were the highest in the class. *sigh* While I want all my students to do well, I think that will be just more ammunition for the AP to use against me. "See? I told you he had poetential...you just don't love him enough." But the truth is, I bent over backwards trying to help this kid. Last semester he came to tutoring weekly and since he was trying so hard I broke my own rules and accepted his "way" late work. Then when the new semester started, he just goofed off again. I guess he was expecting the same deal. But all that was before the violent threats and sexual harassments. Though I had sent him to the office for discussing drugs and cussing on quite a few occasions.I'm not saying he doesn't have potential. He's very charismatic. A wait...intelligent, charismatic, doesn't know right from wrong...potential to be a psychopath. Right now it could go either way, college or murderer. The one lesson he has learned is that he can get away with breaking all the rules.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 pm

i am so sorry. technically physical threats can be reported to the police, and next time you shoudl do it.i had a friend, very nice guy who always jokes about how he hates everyone and wishes he was the only person left on earth. sounds terrible, but you really have to know him, when u do u get his sense of humor. he jokes, but he would never seriously consider shooting up a school or anything like that.one day in our child development class he replied to a "what do you want to do when you grow up?" kind of question with (paraphrasing, its been so long since this happened)"kill everyone, so no one will bother me." the teacher asked "even me?" and he replied with "i said everyone, didn't i?" i can already picture the stupid grin he had on his face when he said it, and every one in the class including the teacher chuckled, because my friend was being himself. next thing i know i see my friend hand-cuffed and walked down the hallway by our school police officer for making a "terroristic threat," which was the biggest load of BS. true he shouldn't have said it, but even the officer later told him he knew my friend wasn't serious but felt he had to "teach him a lesson" by sending him to jail and giving him a year's worth of probation. and the officer is the one who pressed charges, not the teacher.the point of my story is to tell the police, you're responsible for the safety of your students even if the AP lets you down. i'd be very annoyed if i had to be in a class like yours, i really hope you have better luck next year. stick to your guns and good luck.