doggie acupuncture

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

doggie acupuncture

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:06 am

Just wanted to share. My 11 year old black lab suffers from arthritis and stiff joints. She was hit by a car as a 1 year old and had to take her to an orthopedic surgeon who did a wonderful job, but now its getting harder for her to get around. Anyway, we have a great vet who started doing acupuncture on her every 2 weeks and it really seems to help. She's getting along alot better now, but still isn't perfect. Mattie actually seems to enjoy the therapy; she used to fight going in the vets office, but now goes in quite enthusiastically, wagging her tail and talking to the office people. Yes, she's very vocal, LOL! It often sounds like she's growling, but its her way of greeting everybody!

Crabby Abby

doggie acupuncture

Post by Crabby Abby » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:11 am

Some people even perform massage therapy on aging animals and it has wonderful results. Good for your pooch. It's been six years and I still miss my Rosie. I'm glad you are able to do something to improve her quality of life.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author
Bubu

doggie acupuncture

Post by Bubu » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:04 am

My dog isn't old yet or anything, but I do Yoga for her, and boy does she love it. It's really easy, just a series of stretches that I made up and she gets all relaxed and has even fallen asleep! It's espeically important to do it more in the winter when she doesn't go out for walks because its too cold. Get's her legs going

Topic author

doggie acupuncture

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:15 pm

I forgot to mention that after she was hurt I used a massage technique with her called the Tellington touch, which was originally developed for use with race horses to sooth their overworked joints and muscles. It involves a series of circular motions around the inflammed area. I still do it with her during our cuddle time. It really seems to relax her!