Russian Tortoise Question

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm getting a Russian tortoise and I'm confused on the light I need to use. They need UVA and UVB. I am confused on what bulb to use. I read that some use two separate bulbs but I'd prefer to keep it to one.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

dylan644

Post by dylan644 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:40 pm

The only way you are going to get both is to get a full spectrum bulb. Those two lights are at opposite ends if the light spectrum. Why do they need UVA??? That's more for plants. I know it's beneficial to have both, but....?

Topic author
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 am

From what I have been reading they say to get a full spectrum bulb hile others really stress UVB an dont even mention UVA so I'm confused.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

Topic author
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:17 am

On this site it says they need both butmit doesn't specify why. http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-russian.htm
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:28 am

@Jimmy, I follow a guy on Youtube who raises Russian Torts and he uses a full spectrum light.The reason why reptiles need UV-A is that they use this portion of the spectrum to see others of their species, it stimulates foraging and normal breeding behavior.Reptiles use UV-A to see certain color patterns that are only present in this part of the spectrum to help them identify the world around them and without it they can't function properly. Here is a link to website I think you'll find very informative.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks Crabber85! That was very helpful today I got UVA basking light. I will invest in a UVB bulb soon as I already have a dome for it. Until I get the bulb I'll take the turtle outside to expose him to real sunlight. I plan on building him an outdoor pen soon but I need to get all the supplies first.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:22 am

Your welcome Jimmy.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.