Summer Eating Issues

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

MornaStar

Summer Eating Issues

Post by MornaStar » Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 am

Hey Everyone,So I have a problem. An eating problem and I wanted to know if anyone has any advice for it. I've been noticing this recently and I don't know how I can get myself to stop. During the summer I gain a lot of weight and it's because when I am home I can't stop eating. I'm a college student and I only have so many moths of school and then I have a month break here and a three month break there. When I am going to school I don't eat much. I actually don't eat much at all, I don't eat breakfast, I don't eat lunch and by the time I get home I'm either at the point where I'm starving or I'm past that point and in that happy point where I'm empty, but the hunger pangs have left. One: This isn't a good habit. I know it's not and the past few months I have broken that habit and started eating granola bars in the morning. I notice that when I only eat a granola bar I don't gorge myself when I get home. It's a different story during the summer. I have nothing to do, I basically bum around my house playing on my computer and not doing much, besides filling out job applications. This leaves time for me to walk to the fridge and pull out what ever I want and eat it. I try not to keep food in my room so it doesn't tempt me, but staying in my room all day is depressing. None of my friends live around me and what's worse is I don't want to go outside. I want to just stay inside and eat and play on my computer. I never stop eating. It'll be maybe an hour after I ate, I'm not hungry, but I eat again anyway. I lost 10 lbs in the past month and I'm afraid that I am just going to gain it back and more if this continues. If I haven't already. I have half a mind to put locks on all the cupboards and fridge and give the keys to my dad and not let him give them to me until he gets home. I had self control, but I don't know where it went. I wish there was a way to rewire my mind and get me back on the right track. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me with this? I was thinking maybe getting out of the house would help. I am going to go over to my friends house tomorrow, and I don't eat much when I'm there because her mom doesn't want us eating the food, so it wont be an issue then. But if anyone has any ideas that could help me gain a healthy life style I would be thankful. *Star*
Sing For What You Feel Inside
R.I.P. Ashley 11/28/12
R.I.P. Ashley 2.0 4/3/13
I have 7 PPs named Alina, Jake, Ella, Jinxx, Sammi, Andy, and Juliet

Nnnnnnnn

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 pm

My mom says that Chia seeds are good for keeping you feeling full longer, but for me they don't taste too good

Laurie LeAnn

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm

it's a mind game you have to get control of & believe me I KNOW IT ALL TO WELL!!! My heaviest was 260 then thanks to topomax I lost 20, then I was 240 then went to 245. being bored & stuffing my face, sitting on a comp all day, watching t.v., sitting at the library { work } my work out was cleaning the clinic and that was not much of work out! well I ended up high blood pressure pills. I hit a low when pop was killing my guts and i decided i didn't want to have tubes ran up rear end and down my throat again and dr bills, so I quit pop, cold turkey! I dropped 20 lbs in one month, from there it was hey if i can drop 20 in a month, then i bet if i do this I can drop more. I stRTED DRINKING LOTS OF WATER. hit the caps key lol! when ever i got bored i got up and did something else, when ever i got hungry, i drank a glass of water then went and did something else and the hunger pain went away, i ate at reg times. cut back on all the sugar snack stuff, they cause you a sugar high then crash. cut back on portions and cut out fast foods, eat grilled foods if you have to go, also getting up and moving, walking riding a bike, ect will kill those hunger pains to. I don't keep trigger foods in the house that set me off, like a drug addict and their drugs, i am a food addict and certain foods i can't have here cause i just can't eat one.. i hog em..sweets like brownies, cakes and cookies. I do drink once in awhile the powder 5 calorie drink mix you add to water when I get sick of plain water & i drink lots of pure leaf tea. I walk 5 miles everyday to my ipod I have got to where i can walk 5 miles in an hour now. I also bike ride 30 min if I don't walk, this constant feet movement, if the weather is crappy then i you tube leslie sansone 1 mile walks and do those. i now weigh 185 and got my topomax and blood pressure meds cut in half. like i said it's a mind game that you have to go get control of and have to want to do it. no one can do it for you, if you don't get it under control you might find yourself in my condition at 50 yr old. very hard to lose the weight and on blood pressure meds w the threat of diabetes..and let me tell you it is very hard on your joints and bones carrying extra weight around. good luck and hope you can find the fight and will in you to tackle this. i to fight depression and losing weight does also help w this { some what }

MornaStar

Summer Eating Issues

Post by MornaStar » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

It all sounds like a good thing. I have leslie's tapes I walk to her on crappy days like today. I had a 19 minute mile yesterday. so I guess I can do 5 miles in an hour and twenty minutes if I work really hard. As far as the water, I cut out soda too, I think that's why I lost that 10 lbs. I also don't go out to eat anymore. No McDonalds, unless it's Shamrock Shake time, then I'll splurge and get one of those. I drink mostly Sakura Blossom, or Hibiscus Berry Tea for something flavorful with Truvia. It's totally herbal, nothing added that isn't a natural tea. That is when I'm not drinking water. I drink mostly water and I've found a new love in Greek Yogurt and popcorn. I just need to get up and out. I did an hour's worth of gardening today, which surprisingly works off more calories than walking believe it or not. If the rain stays gone for an hour I'll go for another run today. The trainer said to have a day of rest in between, but I think I'm going to go for at least a walk. Thank you for the tips and hints on what you did to get your mind off of eating. Keeping my hands busy helps a lot, and when I'm not in my own house it helps as well because I wont eat. Again thank you and congrats on almost losing 100 lbs!!! You give me hope that I can lose my 100 lbs!!!
R.I.P. Ashley 11/28/12
R.I.P. Ashley 2.0 4/3/13

Crabber85

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Crabber85 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Try one cup of raw almonds as a snack or you can even use it as your breakfast item in the mornings and it will curb your hunger by making you feel full longer and will help to cut your calorie intake down.When you want to eat go for things like fresh fruits and veggies instead of the junk food we so love to indulge in this will help to keep you full while cutting calories as well.I've lost nearly forty pounds in nine months by doing portion control and using fresh fruits and veggies as my snack items.You might also want to start doing more outside even if it's just walking as this will help to fight boredom and take your mind off of eating.I used to be in the habit of eating when bored but now I have my pets and several odd jobs to keep me distracted which helps a lot.When I was younger and in school I was on meds for a.d.d. and they had an un-intended side effect which was appetite suppression because they were also used as weightloss drugs so I'd go days without eating my record was six days and by the end of the sixth day I was so starved that my body shut down and I became very ill so missing meals is actually doing your body more harm than good because your limiting your intake of vital nutrients which impacts your health and will make you over eat when you do decide to eat which is also no good for the body.I know your trying to address the issue of missing meals and thats a good place to start as eating regular balanced meals will help to keep you healthy and fit.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

MornaStar

Summer Eating Issues

Post by MornaStar » Fri May 24, 2013 3:06 am

I've been trying to incorporate veggies into my meals more often. We have a produce shop down the street and it's awesome getting stuff from there. They have 2 lbs of mushrooms for 3$ and stuff like that. I actually might drag my dad out to get some fruits and veggies today. I love mushrooms and eating those instead, or even celery since they don't have a calorie count would be awesome. Thank you for the advise on what I should do instead of eating. It helps. I know I shouldn't be eating so much, it's just that my whole teenage life I haven't been a social person, but I'm hoping that I can become more social soon, especially with this move.
R.I.P. Ashley 11/28/12
R.I.P. Ashley 2.0 4/3/13

Laurie LeAnn

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri May 24, 2013 3:54 am

just watch those all ready to go flavored drinks and even flavored yogurts they can be filled with sugars. the "fake sugars" "the oses" as I call them..fructose types, they may say 0 calories but still have sugars in them and sugar packs on pounds to..I was never a very social person either I was shy and quiet, I still am. I will be more open around my very close friends and family that I know won't judge me and except me for who I am. I started being more open after i moved here to Illinois and i got jobs where you deal w the public, I worked in the nursing home in housekeeping so I had to deal with elderly, now I work in the library so I work with all types of people and I have come out of my shell..I am more open, have conversations w strangers that come in.we all have pig out day to! i went to red lobster, a place i hadn't been to in a long time had a 4 course meal and when i got done i felt like a alien was going to explode from my guts! went bike riding when I got home, then ate pizza later, this morning I had carmel corn cause i hadn't had fresh home made forever! well it has played havoc on my guts I have pd for it dearly! but it was so worth it cause I will prob never get back to those places to have those foods again, a once in a life time trip or twice in a life lol!!

Keg

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Keg » Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 am

I suggest reading blogs about natural health food. If you do it enough, you'll be on the right track eventually.I have opinions on the matter. But there are actually opposite views on the subject that have validity so you have to make choices and develop a belief, I guess.You can do it.

MornaStar

Summer Eating Issues

Post by MornaStar » Sat May 25, 2013 6:00 am

Thanks for that little tid bit about to yogurts. I've been doing pretty good today I haven't been eating a lot, yesterday I didn't eat a lot either. I went out for a walk and I worked on my new blog.
R.I.P. Ashley 11/28/12
R.I.P. Ashley 2.0 4/3/13

Keg

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Keg » Thu May 30, 2013 4:50 am

Mornastar, I think the most important dietary advice is to look at ingredients. If it says "corn syrup" in it, that's basically sugar. It breaks down to sugar very quickly so no matter what the product seems to be, you are eating candy. It takes work because you may notice that things with corn syrup in them tase kind of good, like spaghetti sauce and salad dressing. The difference between those products and the kind you get in health food stores is that the healthy products are made with olive oil. The olive oil is almost as healthy as fish oil for your system. It may take some getting used to. When I tried them, I liked the familiar tste of the cheaper brands at first. But the olive oil is worth getting used to once you realize what corn syrup is doing to you.

Topic author
Theodora

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Theodora » Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 am

Coconut oil is also really healthy, its good on ANYTHING! and when cooking with it, it can stand REALLY high heats. I like t on popcorn in place of butter... on toast..... EVERYTHING!!!

lovemycrabbies

Summer Eating Issues

Post by lovemycrabbies » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 am

Protein keeps you full for longer Also, maybe check out the wheat belly "diet"(its not really a diet, but more of a way of life id say). My mom and I are doing it. The whole thing is that the wheat thats in everything was created to feed the world, but this wheat is so modified that it is actually what is making the united states citizens fat. The glycemic index on the wheat is more sugary than eating a tablespoon of table sugar. Because it is so sugary, it spikes our metabolism, but then shortly after, that high fades away and we want/crave more food to get that spike again. So by using alternative wheats and flours you avoid the spike and eat more accordingly to your body's needs than wants. Its really interesting; you should check it out
75 Gallon
3 coenobita clypeatus & 2 coenobita compressus

dylan644

Summer Eating Issues

Post by dylan644 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 am

I was doing better and better on my eating habits until school let out. I feel like a big blown up balloon because of how much food I have ate. At least at school I had something to keep my mind on and I didn't pack a big lunch. I had four items, they weren't the healthiest, but they weren't filling either. I had plain water everyday too. I had been getting exercise with delivering my mulch. Each bag became easier to lift. Some of the wet bags had to have been up to 100lbs.I know last summer was different. My brothers went out of state and I was left at home by myself because I had a surgery and couldn't leave to go out of state with my aunt. I didn't eat anything when they were gone. I had very little. Since then I believe I eat out of stress, depression, and boredom. I hope my job application is accepted because then I will be away from home.

pinkypie

Summer Eating Issues

Post by pinkypie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am

You should get a little journal to keep track of calories & grams of fat. You can research what your daily calorie limit should be based on body type, frame, etc. Also try to be more active, like talking a short walk, immerse yourself in your hobbies & interests, things like that. I'm kind of in the same boat, but during the summer I go the complete opposite--the heat makes me feel so sick that I can't eat very much at all...so I have to set times when I eat, smoke a little herb, otherwise I just won't eat anything.
S.N. Bryant

Jimmy

Summer Eating Issues

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 pm

If you ever have the urge to eat you can try chewing gum.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior