quitting smoking

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author

quitting smoking

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:46 am

I am trying to quit smoking and am in a very foul mood (my poor hubby and kids!). If anybody here has successfully quit, I'd enjoy hearing how you got thru it!

Topic author

quitting smoking

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:58 am

I really wish you the best of luck!I've been smoking for years and amgetting a bit worried (takes a good longpull on a marlboro light...ahhh) butam a slave to these god awful things. Be strong and keep me posted!

Rachel

quitting smoking

Post by Rachel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:51 pm

I quit a year and a half ago using the patch and my good friend Love4HermitCrabs....she was my inspiration. I had tried MANY times before (all cold turkey) with no luck. Using the patch was a lot easier. Still s*u*c*k*ed, of course!, but I was able to do it!! You've got to absolutely MAKE UP YOUR MIND that you're gonna do it and then the rest just happens....Good luck!!! I'm pulling for you!

Topic author

quitting smoking

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 pm

dumb question--Rachel, can I get the patch over the counter, or do I need a Rx?Congrats on successfully quitting and thanks for the encouragement!!

Topic author
motley crew

quitting smoking

Post by motley crew » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm

I hope you do well been thinking about it myself for a while you can do this just take a deep breath and try anything I have read that if you think you need one just take 3 deep breathes slowly and that should help it pass and lemon hard cany also try to drink lots of water too clean out your taste buds as well as brushing your teeth more often like 5 to 6 times a day hope any of this helps thats what my mother in law did and she has been smoke free for 5 yrs best of luck to you

Topic author
jojo7

quitting smoking

Post by jojo7 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:34 pm

I quit smoking 10 years ago when i found out i was pregnant for my first born...i had morning sickness, morning, noon, and night, so it was easy to forget about them...but as soon as the baby was born i went back to smoking...hubby doesn't smoke and hated that i did..i had to go outside of the house to smoke and it got real cold in the winter!...eventually i smoked a few cigarettes here and there and then completely quit...it wasn't easy, because i was smoking whenever i was stressed...(which is most of the time..lol)...so now i eat!!... I still see people smoke and think, "wow that cigarette looks so good!"..but i preach to my boys now that cigarette smoking is sooooooo unhealthy!!...i watched my Uncle die a very slow and painful death from lung cancer...i never want my children to witness that...thats what i think of when i'm dreaming of a cigarette when i'm drinking a cup of coffee...Best of luck to you!!!...keep the faith!!

Topic author

quitting smoking

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:32 pm

Awe Rachel your making me blush.. I was a smoker for 23 years and I have been smoke free since September 23, 2003 and it feels wonderful!! cyrusaurus you can get them at walmart or any store, a little advice to you is make sure you get the name brand patch the first month then the cheap ones will work just fine after that. I tried the cheap ones first and that didn't out so well but then I tried it the other way and it worked out great. Congrats to you on trying to quit, make it happen for you.Sandra

Topic author
Ren1216

quitting smoking

Post by Ren1216 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:41 am

My boyfriend smoked for many, many years. I could not convince him, no matter how hard I tried, to quit smoking. He was just fooling himself with the whole "I'll cut way back" idea. He ends up with phneumonia every winter now, and finally his doctor asked him at his last appointment... "so, what age would you like to live to?". BF answers "ohhhh I dont know, not much more than 80, life after that point is no good... so yeah, maybe 'til Im 80". Dr looks him dead in the eye and says "well, you've only got about 5-7 years left if you keep smoking".BF was dumbfounded. Ive been telling him that for years, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that the reports are true, smoking WILL kill you. But it took that doctor telling him that to make him pay attention. Then it was just a matter of MAKING THE DECISION to do it. Which he did, thank God! So I cant tell you what to do to make it easier, but I can tell you it definitely starts with a firm decision, a committment. Good luck to you. And if you fail, please keep trying. You gotta really want it, and if you really want it... you'll make it.

Nicole

quitting smoking

Post by Nicole » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:44 am

I smoked until the end of my senior year in college, even though I have asthma (horribly foolish decision!). I ended up with bronchitis that wouldn't go away, and when I left college I reluctantly left the cigarettes behind. I never admitted it to the doctors why I kept getting bronchitis. I don't always tell a lot of people about it either because I know that it was stupid to do on my part.It is one of the hardest things to do! Honestly, today was one of those days when it was all I could do not to run down to the mini-mart and get some Marlboro Lights. I sometimes think, maybe I will just smoke one a day, or two, but literally that is playing with fire. Good luck Suz! I'm sure you will feel better in the long run but it just takes a lot of willpower in the beginning. We are all here for you and wish you the best. I can't say the urge will ever completely go away, especially under stress, but it is how you control your feelings that will make all the difference. *HUGS*
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

quitting smoking

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:02 am

Thanks so much guys for all ur help and support! So far, I've been nicotine free for 3 days. I'll keep u posted on my progress.

Topic author
rottiegirl25

quitting smoking

Post by rottiegirl25 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Your doing GREAT!!! Keep it up!!!!I need to quite too. i have tried so many times and failed but i am going to try agin until i finally quite for good. its so hard to do especially when others in the home smoke too and when my mom and i both try to quite we almost kill each other with our bad moods. WTG im rooting for you to suceed.Stacey