Hermit in Dr Pepper can ad

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Has anyone seen a new ad for Dr Pepper? I only caught half of it. It has a rather large crab using a can for a shell which looked as though the opening would be way too small for its tail. all I could think about when I saw it was how the crab was going to get its tail cut off from the sharp can opening. Not so sure I liked it though the crab looked pretty good, CGI. I saw it on MTV.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:13 am

I googled it and found it on youtube they "might" have used real ones at the start of the ad but they had to use animation(computerize) the crab in the can (so no crabs appear harmed in this ad).Given the fact that they pull the ad off showing they didn't mean it literally it is supposed to be taken as a joke I thought it was kind of cute and funny. But I'm sure there will be quite a few different opinions on that.

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for finding the video on Youtube, ("Dr Pepper Hermit Crab") seeing the whole thing in context helps a bunch. It was obviously tongue-in-cheek humor aimed at young people. Ok, it was cute too. When I first saw the ad, or only half of it actually, thoughts of crabs having to use whatever they could find to wear, getting cut shaking that can trying to get out of it or something(???). obviously the tab hole is way too small for tht size of crab. Didn’t know they only mate once in a lifetime, lol.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:52 am

Not sure if that is a true fact or not but I wouldn't think so.

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:22 pm

No, I would rather doubt they only mate once, but that bit was for the effect of the ad. I mean if you only had one shot, you must include the sponsoring brand to ensure success (as said sponsor argued). I liked the documentary tone they gave it, almost made it all seem entirely factual in a humorous way.

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:23 am

I'm a little surprised we're the only ones commenting on this. I figured it would start a buz with a few members anyway.