Job Hunting Woes.

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Crabber85

Job Hunting Woes.

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am

As a few of you know I have been looking for a job since my dad fell ill and passed nearly a year ago due to kidney cancer and so far the job search has been slow and tedious.About 90% of the jobs I have found you have to apply for online and then you just have to sit and wait for the employer to call or email you to let you know if your even being considered for the position and 9 times out of 10 they don't bother to let you know anything and they never provide an email address or phone number where they can be contacted because they don't want you to be bothering them.I've noticed a strange occurrence since signing up on a job hunting service I have only gotten returns from counties too far away for me to possible get to, I'm talking about 100 or more miles outside my search range which is only 1 to 50 miles that was the shortest one they had available on the job hunting service because I have no car, no license due to vision issues and no actual transportation so I either have to bum rides or walk to where I'm going.I've looked at close to two-hundred jobs since January and none of them have even been close to the field that I'm able to work, I have some experience in retail so that's what I'm looking for but nothing is available right now in my immediate area unless I have a degree or two years experience being in Management.Most of my job listings have been for CDL or Big Rig drivers, CNA's, LPN's, RN's, Licensed Mechanics and Engineers.My question is how do any of the above mentioned jobs have anything to do with retail?My mother has seen all this and has decided to try to help me out she says if my disability falls through I'm going to court to go before a Judge pretty soon to see if I can get the decision to deny me my benefits overturned but if I can't she is going to try to get me on where she works doing housekeeping basically I would push a broom and clean up it pays okay but something is better than nothing and I'm getting nowhere with using this job hunting agency.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Keg

Job Hunting Woes.

Post by Keg » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:17 am

Careful, they might sound questionable because they're trying to steal your identity with the information you provide.

Crabber85

Job Hunting Woes.

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:12 am

@Keg, I know I'd considered that already but this is a job hunting agency provided by the State Department of Labor, if the DOL fails to find you a job in a certain amount of time then they link you to several temp agencies and job hunting services to further your search, the DOL listings don't cover very much because they only show listings that the companies have put up themselves and nothing else so their job pool is essentially non-existent because they don't have enough employers listing with them anymore.I've been through Jobzilla, Monster Jobs and now Snag-a-Job and none of them have been helpful at all and the only reason I switched to Snag-a-Job was because my late father had used them before he got sick looking for work and he never had a complaint the DOL put him on this agency as well when they couldn't help him so I figured he'd used it with no problems and now I've been referred to them so I'll give them a shot but they have been an utter and miserable fail so far with their listings because no-body is hiring in my area.Our local economy out here isn't doing so well we've had lots of businesses pack up and move or just simply shut down over the last five years and a few new places open up here and there but they always hire from the inside basically moving employees around from other locations to fill the new positions the companies call doing this Fast Tracking their employees which makes getting on from the outside near impossible.Because of my poor vision and autism issues I usually get shot down early on but hey somebody somewhere is going to be willing to give me a chance without prejudging me.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Job Hunting Woes.

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sat May 02, 2015 1:37 am

I would just go to the place that you are applying to, that site. McDonald's site and stick to it for an example. I wouldn't go to any of those off type sites. I think when I had to sign up for unemployment there was a site I had to go to that would help find a job. I'm kind of in the same boat 45 miles from anywhere and my fibromyalgia makes it so painful to drive now. They say we can get DISABILITIES to! We have to have test run though rule out certain other things.. I have had Lucas and all that ran yrs ago.. I wonder if it would still count??