Chirps

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
hermie2013

Chirps

Post by hermie2013 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Soooo, I was sitting down chillin' then I hear a loud chirp. I check on the crabs only to see them chillin' also. Speedy is underground, was that him? Don't hermit crabs only chirp when they are fighting? I checked under decor. Water bowls, food dish, everything, no injured crab or fighting crab. I'm kinda puzzled, if anyone could explain, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks bunches!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Chirps

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Sometimes they will chirp if they get startled, or for no reason. Giggles did this thing where he chirped his head off if I walked past the tank - but only for three weeks and it never happened again. I also had a tankful of molters years ago that talked to each other while underground every night for a month!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermie2013

Post by hermie2013 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info, I learned something new! Ahhh, must be a pain to hear chirping crabs all night. Hahah.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:17 pm

It took me a few days to figure out it was the crabs. I kept hearing weird noises in the living room and didn't know what it was because I had never heard my hermits make noises before that. My first thought was squirrels in the chimney! :hlol:

Topic author
hermie2013

Post by hermie2013 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:57 am

Yeah, it took me quite a while to figure out it was a chirp. I heard little squeeks then it just turned into a hermie chirp!

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 pm

My crab Big Oliver used to snore. He would make a series of clicks that sounded like a ping pong ball falling down a hard wood stairs exactly every 5-8 seconds. He only did it during the day so I called it his "snore." He was alone in his tank (he was the size of a softball so he had to be) so it wasn't like he was talking to anyone. He just had a tick...literally :lol:
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Are you sure he wasn't calling out to find others? They don't normally do okay alone and they naturally want to find others of their colony. Distress vocalizations don't just have to be from an attack, loneliness can be stressful for them, too.

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:32 pm

His tank was up against my other crab Big Sophie. I only had two at the time and yes they did better apart because Oliver was super food competitive. He also had a tendency to tear apart the habitat and it seemed to disturb Sophia a lot so I separated them. They still liked each others presence and saw each other daily. I would let them out in my room to walk around every now and then and they would interact. So he was never totally alone. I also interacted with him a lot. I had him in once with many smaller crabs and he kept pushing them away from food and making them afraid to get food.

I don't usually keep my crabs alone, it's just he was a special case. He was huge and didn't fit with another crab. I don't have too much room in my house for a massive tank. They have both passed since now. Oliver was about 14 years old and Sophie was about 13 yo. Now I have two crabs going on 3 and they live together fine but they are mediums.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 pm

wodesorel wrote:Sometimes they will chirp if they get startled, or for no reason. Giggles did this thing where he chirped his head off if I walked past the tank - but only for three weeks and it never happened again. I also had a tankful of molters years ago that talked to each other while underground every night for a month!
That's crazy cool! Did it ever get annoying? I have mine in the spare bedroom on the other side of the apartment so I don't hear much. I've been waiting to hear a chirp since I got 3 more friends for my lonely crab a couple days ago. It's possible that I've even heard one already but didn't notice because I don't know exactly what it sounds like yet hahaha. Crabs are interesting. :)
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

I never found it annoying, but for the first week I kept trying to find the loose hinge or floor board or whatever was "squeaking" when I walked past. :hlol: It took me a while to realize it was the crab!

(Of course, I don't find crickets to be all that bad, and they sound very similar.)

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 am

wodesorel wrote:I never found it annoying, but for the first week I kept trying to find the loose hinge or floor board or whatever was "squeaking" when I walked past. :hlol: It took me a while to realize it was the crab!

(Of course, I don't find crickets to be all that bad, and they sound very similar.)
My hermies are starting to become more active now that they've been in their new home for a few days so maybe I'll start hearing something! These guys are so interesting, I love it!
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Mine only chirp when they are annoyed! One loves wardleys dried shrimp specifically... I put in meal worms he hopped in the dish and freaked out! I added the shrimp as i intended to do. He simply climbed in the dish and started eating, not another peep!

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk