Tropic Marin Sea Salt

Archived food and water-specific information.

Topic author

Tropic Marin Sea Salt

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:18 pm

I have found a salt better than Instant Ocean! All the available information I have found has supported this. Let me start off with what made me start questionning Instant Ocean. The box says........"Contains every major, minor, and trace element NECESSARY". That got me thinking, is this really just like sea water or what?Looking around many of the salt water boards, I came to find out, while Instant Ocean is one of the most popular salt products in the USA, one of the most popular salt products in Europe and other parts of the world, is a brand of fish salt called "Tropic Marin". Looking into this more, I found that people who set up reef tanks with Instant Ocean, who also had invertebrates in their tank as well as coral polyps, have to supplement them, sometimes heavily, because Instant Ocean is not like natural sea water. Instant Ocean only contains 30 of the essential trace elements from the sea. Sea water has 70 trace elements, and most, if not all of them, are needed to some degree for crustaceans that live in the sea, or depend on the brackish tidal pools. Any crustacean living in the subtidal areas have access to these nutrients. Scientists are still discovering how some of these nutirents effect the overall metabolic processes of crustaceans.....this is a work in progress. However trace some of these elements may be, at this time, I believe our hermit crabs need access to them, and Tropic Marin has all seventy trace elements, and duplicates sea water as closely as possible. If you do not have access to natural sea water, I would definitely encourage anyone with captive hermit crabs to switch to Tropic Marin sea salt.