Lethargic?

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

Topic author

Lethargic?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 am

My new medium PP, Molly, has been extremely lethargic since I brought her home. @ the petshop (Petsmart), she was all alone in a corner in her waaay too small shell. She changed out of it into a good sized shell within a few hours of being home, but she barely moves from one spot at night or in the day time. I moved her to the main tank yesterday even though I have had her a little over a week because I have a molter in ISO due up any day, and he is much smaller. My worries are that she isnt't drinking or eating though. I sat her in the water this morning and she drank a lot, but she stays in a hut all the time and doesn't move. I haven't seen hr eat at all, so I'm wondering if she could be preparing to surface molt. She acts as if she were still in the petshop. But when I was bringing her home, she was out and moving about. I am hoping she doesn't pass, because I have recently lost three, two newbies and my first. Anything I can do for her??

Crabby Abby

Lethargic?

Post by Crabby Abby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 am

Sounds like she's putting all of her energy into transitioning to her new home. Just offer the best foods you can including proteins, fats/oils (like nuts or fish), maybe even in a small shell nearby so she doesn't have to expend precious energy to nourish herself, and allow her the time she needs.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

Lethargic?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Ok. She hasn't moved all day, but I am assuming she is alive. "I will not mess with her" I keep thinking, but then some unexpected worry comes into thought and I struggle greatly with not messing with her. She is in a large turbo shell w/ Mother or Pearl lining, which is much better than her first which was plastic, D shaped, and she couldn't even retract into it. How long should it take her to dig down and molt?? I am very concerned about her tying to pull a surface molt because I am not sure she would survive it in her state. She occasionally easts sand, but never goes to the food or water dish. Should she be drinking?? Thanks for all the help! I can help when it isn't my crabs, but then my mind goes blank!!

Nicole

Lethargic?

Post by Nicole » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:27 pm

New crabs aren't often interested in eating or drinking once the initial hyperactivity phase settles down. If she is nibbling on the sand, though, she could be calcium-starved so do place a small dish of Calci-Sand, crushed eggshells, etc. near her. That can actually help boost her energy, too, if she doesn't feel like actually eating.I would say that she is probably just destressing and not attempting a surface molt. Her symptoms sound a lot like stress and I wouldn't handle her right now to be safe.
~ crabbing since 2003