VERY Hungry Postmolter

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

VERY Hungry Postmolter

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:25 pm

My post molter is a pig. For the past few days he has licked clean a seashell stuffed with food everyday. He is a large straw that is gonna make me go poor if he doesn't stop eating lol. I guess going 7 weeks without eating made him hungry. Has anyone else experienced this? Seriously, around 4oclock I put in a dish with some baby food, some regular food, a sprinkle of eggshells and a corn puff. I just looked in and all that was left was half a corn puff. And it didn't take him 4 hours to eat it either, he just sits in the dish, and eats and eats and eats. Should I just keep refilling the dish? Is he starving or will he be fine?

VERY Hungry Postmolter

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:09 pm

I have to disagree here; if the crab is eating he needs to eat. He won't stuff himself to death and is obviously looking for some nutrients he needs to finish his exo off.Give him some cellulose, like a corn cob after you've eaten the corn, or some dead oak leaves, and especially some high-carotenid foods. He may have depleted his oil reserves, too, so some nuts/nut butter or coconut would be good for him now too.

Topic author
Nicole

VERY Hungry Postmolter

Post by Nicole » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:13 pm

My post molters are often unusually hungry and thirsty. Molting takes alot out of them. I would just keep offering food and water as he wants it.
~ crabbing since 2003

VERY Hungry Postmolter

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:35 am

Crabs know what and when to eat and drink. Don't stress on how much he's taking in, he'll regulate himself just fine.