Shell Fights...

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

NewCrabber

Shell Fights...

Post by NewCrabber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:10 pm

Don't think that just because one hermie is smaller than another they won't fight over a shell. I discovered one of my Indos in a shell so small only the tip of his butt is in it. How he is not walking out of it when he moves, is beyond me. He was evicited by a PP less than half his size and lost his BP in the process and broke another limb. Poor guy seems dazed and really scared. He's normally fairly outgoing. I rinsed the sand off several shells and put them in the water dish, but he shows no interest in changing. I hope it isn't because he doesn't have the energy or that his butt is stuck in that shell!

moire_eel

Shell Fights...

Post by moire_eel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:27 am

That is sad. So I guess you also have a PP walking around in a huge shell he can barely carry? I hope your Indo recovers and finds something better to wear.

Topic author
Nicole

Shell Fights...

Post by Nicole » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:25 am

I'm sorry about your Indo. I hope he is able to find a bigger shell and settle down. Some of my smaller crabs are much more aggressive than the larger ones, so I can see how that would have happened to your guy. It doesn't make much sense, but for some reason that shell must have really appealed to the PP. Keep us posted on your Indo. Give him a hermie hug from me.
~ crabbing since 2003

NewCrabber

Shell Fights...

Post by NewCrabber » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:54 am

Thanks guys. Yea, the Indo's shell is huge on the PP. When he attempts moving around, it's slow and steady and it almost looks like he is wearing a hood.