This time it's real!!! Hexxus my female , she has eggs !! What do I do??

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Here is a video you can watch to get a better view She was being squirmy and pinched me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeTtfXNud4c

Keg

Post by Keg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:17 am

Google diligently - you can find one person who was able to hatch eggs. It takes a special set up, since they have to spend time under water, and the filtering system has to be just right so it doesn't suck them in. If you haven't got it set up in advance, they never survive, from what I've heard. The crab will probably deposit them by the water dish. When the tide fails to carry them out to sea, they perish.

jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 am

Wow,awesome! I wish Crabber didn't have so much going on right now and he could help a heap load more than I. I believe that they will release them into the ocean and the eggs hatch in the ocean and develop into crabs then come back onto land. I don't remember how you have your stuff set up but I'm thinking it is way different than we have ours here in the states. Try to mimic the ocean so she can release the eggs in it otherwise they will probably die if she tries to hang onto them. I'm sure you can start reading about the reproduction process somewhere. If you look in our archived crab behavior there is some info.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 am

Wow yessssaa !! It sure is cool and exciting !! That tells me that my conditions are just right!! So proud of myself Here is a better view Unfortunately I'm not prepare fiscal wise and knowledge wise . And I am also moving in 2 weeks. So this season they will not survive. I saw a topic on hermit crab association step by step on how to raise them. Sure I did write this down in my notes.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:28 pm

I take my poor helpless female out of the tank before any of the males can get to her, it 3 against one...Yes I heard the same thing to very hard to have them survive, need that ocean type set up w waves, temp control, etc...very hard to in a reg tank. Try googling it see what it says

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:03 am

Odds are the eggs wont survive in captivity because you have to provide such extreme levels of care that most people can't afford the equipment necessary.These little zoea will only feed on nearly microscopic sized food mostly live baby brine shrimp and these shrimp are not widely available but are easy to raise for a food stock for fresh or salt water fish so you might be able to get a good culture from a reef supply store online at a decent price.You'd need a ten gallon tank with a good filter with the intake covered with an aquarium sponge and even that wont negate some deaths due to entrapment.You'll want to have a good flow to keep the water moving, the temp should ideally be between 72-76 degrees to keep the fry alive.The water they'll be in needs to be made from something like Oceanic or IO salt mix they will not survive in fresh water.The salt in the salt water actually causes the egg sack to burst as the eggs are deposited into it which allows a very tiny hermitcrab fry to swim free, unfortunately not all of the eggs will hatch at this time as some may not have been properly fertilized at the time of mating.I've seen several people have pretty good success rates with captive rearing of hermitcrab fry but you have to have a lot of time, money and patience unfortunately I don't have any of those.lol
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks a whole lot for all of your advice!! I appreciate it! I'm writing this all down in my notes!!

Tongue Flicker

Post by Tongue Flicker » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:59 am

Congrats!
Neil
" With great power comes great electricity bill... "

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:24 pm

quote:Originally posted by Tongue Flicker:Congrats! Thanks !!!

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 pm

OK !! here is what i'll be doing These are the supplies I have 1. 10gallon tank with -sand-Has heater stuck in the back-light is in the hood lid2. mason jar-I will be putting the larva in saltwater -10 gal air pump with single airstone that will be placed in the mason jar to aerate ** placing it against the back of the tank where the heating pad is to keep them at 83 F **3. That big syringe with tube is to rear the larva from the saltwater pool to the mason jar. 4. Little water bottles are to mix water inSince I cannot raise the larva, I'm thinking about taking them to be raised in the marine science museum Keep us in your prayers !!

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:51 pm

quote:Originally posted by LAURIE:I take my poor helpless female out of the tank before any of the males can get to her, it 3 against one...Yes I heard the same thing to very hard to have them survive, need that ocean type set up w waves, temp control, etc...very hard to in a reg tank. Try googling it see what it says In my tank I have 6 females and 2 males haahaa

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:10 am

Unfortunately the marine science center cannot take in the larvae. I am left on my own with the supplies I have. I donno if these supplies I have will be effective in keeping them alive . So I'm on my own here. What to do? I need to know more on -their 5 stages of development -how long do they go in each stage-what do the larvae eat-what setup throughout their stages-when do I get them in the transition-which water do they stay in-do I need filters with the aeration -how often do I feed-how often do I change their water-what kind of lighting do they need

jenok

Post by jenok » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 am

Crabber answered most of your questions above. I was thinking you live close to the ocean, so you could go set them free (if they are native species).

crazycrabber

Post by crazycrabber » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:22 am

how did she get eggs? did you bring her to the beach? i thought that it was impossible to have that happen in captivity. have any other crabs? or do you think that she did that before she got shipped to the pet store?
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:39 am

No I didn't bring her to the beach. I have both males and females in my tank. So 1 male and 1 female decided to mate.There are lots of controversies about hermit crabs breeding in captivity. That it's impossible to breed in captivity. There is more potential for males and females to mate when the tank conditions are perfect and favorable . And when the crabs are happy and thriving. There is no coaxing and coaching to get the crabs to mate.It has to happen naturally .