Disturbing "Cleaning" Behavior

Archived information regarding hermit crab behavior.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Hello. I have a crab doing some weird things. he is in a corner and he was just hanging out of his shell about half way. A few times it looked like he was going to come out of his shell. So I sat there watching him. He is coming almost all the way out of his shell and his tiny back legs with the teensy claws are moving all around like they're looking for something. They are feeling all over his shell and then they will go back inside the shell then come back out again like they're reaching for something. The crab is slumped but his eyes are pointing upward. I put a shell near him, but I have no idea what he is doing. Does anyone know what he's doing? What should I do if he comes out of his shell?thanks-debbie

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:07 pm

I've seen that kind of behavior when my crabs clean the sand off their backs, particularly after a molt. Some get really annoyed by it. However, they don't slump like you are describing. Is it possible that he has a really ill-fitting shell or an irritation inside the shell that's bothering him? It *sounds* like he's trying to fix something with those back legs. I have seen some funky behavior like that when the crabs first try on new shells, before they get used to the fit.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:48 am

This morning when I checked on him he was up on the climbing circle thingy looking pretty good. Then he climbed back down and squeezed into the same little area with the other crab. So he's just sitting there looking pretty normal at this point. I'll keep my eye on him and prepare tp ISO him if necessary.Thanks again-debbie

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:09 am

It sounds like the crab might be housekeeping. They lean a good ways out of their shells and sometimes rock up and down while the 4th and 5th pair of legs, sweeping poop from the bottom and bring it up to the opening or sweeping grains of sand out.If can be a little worrisome if you've never seen it before.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.