FMR is a Bad Hermit Crab Company?

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:48 am

http://www.fmrpets.com/I just came across this info in another thread. I remember a while back, I think it was CrabbyAbby who found this site and sent me the link... we looked at it together and were so annoyed with what we were seeing. Only now do I realize just who/what this site is. It's FMR (Florida MArine Research), as in the food and other products. How did I miss this before??? Am I mistaken here? I thought this was supposed to be a reputable company! Wire Cages?? Get a load of their "Care Sheet"! I'm stunned. Guess what's going right in the trash can when I finish this post?? Thats right, any and ALL FRM products in my house. I wish I had been paying closer attention before.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 am

They used to be reputable. Unfortunately, they've gone downhill somewhat. (Actually, I refuse to buy their products anymore. I especially hate that they supply so many of the crab kiosks)

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:33 am

Downhill somewhat is an understatement. All those wire cages and 'display cases', no concern for the required humidity crabs need at all. Painted shells up the wazoo. Care sheet says to bathe your crabs twice a week. "Crabs need calcium obtained from shell dishes"... what, they are supposed to snack on their food dished to get this required calcium? I know they occasionally do, but how about recommending a better souce of calcium? No mention of salt water, declorinated water or humidity whatsoever. Thats just pathetic. Their "crab kits" are all wire cages and KK's. Fromt he FAQ's: "As part of its growth cycle, a hermit crab molts, or sheds its exoskeleton, usually once a year between May and September." And get this, "A good rule of thumb is two crabs per one-gallon tank". So I can have 40 crabs in my 20gal tank.... you gotta be kidding me.There is some accurate info there too, Im not saying its all bogus. I guess I just expected more from them considering what I had read about them in the past. Then again, maybe I assumed too much.I just noticed a link to this website (LHC) on their "about us" page.

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:42 am

It's not the same site we visited, Ren but I particularly like this little tidbit on their wire cylinder cages, "Great for taking the crabs to school, to friends house, or on vacation!" As ChurchLady says, "Well, isn't that special?"I guess their business concept is that you can sell more crabs by ensuring that the first ones die quickly!
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:47 am

It is important, though, to note that they are not actually a research facility. There used to actually be a Florida Marine Research Institute, but as of July 1, 2004, they have changed their name to the Fish and Wildlife Research institute. You can view theur website at http://www.floridamarine.org Remember, these two entities are completely seperate and have nothing to do with each other.

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:49 am

OK... THATS what I was looking for!! I could not believe that was possibly the same company, thats why I was so stunned.So who makes the FMR food and products? If I were the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute, I would have a REAL problem with these guys using a name so similar to the former one, causing such confusion.So you are saying that these 2 companies are totally separate and are not related at all?? If so, thank you for pointing that out to me. That is what I was wanting to know.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:43 am

FMR (with the fmrpets.com) makes the food and products. Once upon a time, you could call and get accurate advice. However now they're tough to contact, their advice is iffy and I've heard some really not nice things about them. Florida Marine Research or Fish and Wildlife Research Institute is an actual research facility and is NOT a corporation, unlike F.M.R.

Topic author
kuplakrabs

Post by kuplakrabs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:50 am

I'd hazard to guess that when the crab trade first started, they did believe that what they were doing was correct. Unfortunately, no one at FMR has taken the time or put any effort into finding out whether or not they were correct. After seeing the fistsful of money they were making, I'm sure the bottom line was much more interesting to them. Very sad, very sad indeed.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 am

I first became acquainted with FMR thru Sea Shell City in Fenwick. SSC is a wonderful shop that takes good care of their crabs, so I felt that FMR must be pretty reputable as well. So I was very disappointed when I saw the link to crab racing, along with the questionable products on their site.I too think that at one time they were one of the most knowledgable authorities in crabbing, but they obviously have not kept abreast of the latest info. and research.Another thing to consider is that they focus solely on the needs and characteristics of PP's.

Topic author
Ren1216

Post by Ren1216 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:35 pm

I did a little asking around, here is what I was told:"They [FMR] produce poor quality foods that are treated with pheromones as a feeding attractant, instead of using actual good foods with high nutrient values that attract the crabs naturally -- which is why many people that have relied on FMR foods have trouble weaning their crabs onto natural diet."Apparently, they are also the ones who started the painted shell idea.I have also found from other sources that there is NO connection between FMR Pets and FMR Institute, which now goes by another name as listed above.But yep... all FMR products hit the trash can today. I do just fine with fresh foods and other brands like Crab Island.

Topic author
KittyCaller

Post by KittyCaller » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Please keep in mind that they have not updated that site in forever. When I started crabbing people would still recommend them. In particular, I remember that a woman named Kathy worked at FMR and would take questions. She was really terrific, but I think it's been quite some time since she's worked there.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:17 am

You should not rely solely on any commercial crab food, most of them contain harmful ingredients, such as ethoxyquin or copper sulfide, or contain meat and bone meal, which can be very contaminated with heavy metals (which are harmful to crustaceans). Even if an ingredient is not actually harmful to the hermies, a lot of commercial pet foods contain cheap, low-quality filler ingredients. If you must feed any commercial foods, do so no more often than once a week. As little as possible. You should mostly rely on fresh, natural foods. http://www.epicureanhermit.com/

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

You must always look to where the buck stops and you will always find the reason. It is profitable the way things stand for them, if they start putting in that the humidity and temp need to be a certain thing then they could no longer sell the plastic cages because everyone would figure out very soon that they can not regulate either with any amount of consistency. Their sell of Hermit Crabs would also go down if they started living longer (people would not be replacing them)I am not trying to say that everyone at FMR is cold and heartless don't get me wrong, I'm sure most are not. But look at the KKs...they are very bright colored lids, hot pink, purple, etc. They are they first thing that makes kids take notice at a kiosk, then on second glance they see the cute little hermies and they go in for closer inspection. Then the worker tells them they are easy to take care of...now they have Mom's attention...and we have everything here that you need...convienence factor, Mom's eyebrows now arch with interest. Then they say if you buy one of our large KKs we will through in 2 Hermit crabs for free...Now Mom is really listening...woohoo something for free, easy to take care of, and inexpensive to replace if it should happen to die. Chachink...sale. 25 for the large KK, 5 for food dish, 5 for food and treat, 5 for rocks for bottom of KK (because they don't want to show sand because then Mom might think that stuff will get in my carpet), and choya, palmtrees and whatever else the child can con Mom into buying...(yep all you younger folks out there we were kids too, we know how it works)Bottom line is whoever is CEO or Board member or whatever it is called (as you can see I was definately not a business major)they only see the bottom line, and as far as they are conserned, if the profits are up, change nothing(aka - if it ain't broke don't fix it)and they are just doing their job. Until it is made public enough to have a chance of giving them a bad name they will not change a thing. Once their reputation is on the line things will change but probably not until.There main profit comes from the KKs and food and accesories not the Hermit Crabs, so this is what they promote.Sorry to have gone on so long...just had to vent for a sec.

Topic author
TristessaKC

Post by TristessaKC » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

this is a exact replica as best as i could get it on a post----->********PLEASE READ********HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR LAND HERMIT CRAB (Coenobita Clypeatus)Hermit crabs in their native environment live inland away from the water and the beach. Their diet consists of leaf litter, fruits and vegitation. They also enjoy chewing and eating bark and have a special preference for decaying wood (except pine or cedar). When they have been domesticated it is recommended that they be fed a good commercial food (such as that produced by FMR) and an alternate days treats may be fed, (such as that produced by FMR) or coconut, romaine lettuce, apple, white bread, popcorn with or without sea salt, etc. It is recommended to offer oyster shell, egg shell or a cuttlebone for a calcium source. Land hermit crabs eat very slowly and very little so all uneaten food should be removed each day to avoid spoilage.Water quality is a must. To provide the necessary moisture for your hermit crabs, it is important to bathe this little friend. In climates which are humid twice a week bathing will suffice. In climates, which are arid or when very dry heat provides warmth for your house, bathing every other day is preferable. Lightly misting your crabs outside of the tank on non bathing days is also desirable but not absolutely necessary. Providing water in which the crab may climb is important. Use a non metallic container. A small sponge should be placed in the container to provide safety and prevent possible drowning. Water quality is a must. Our rule of thumb is, if the available water supply is accepatable for keeping aquarium fish, it is acceptable for hermit crabs. If you must treat the water for fish, treat the water for hermit crabs. Hard water with high iron content can do the most damage to your hermit crabs.Crabs should be kept in an aquarium with a 2 to 3 inch base of gravel or sand. The temperature should be between 70 degrees and 75 degrees. A heater can be purchased and placed under the aquarium to maintain the temperature about 70 degrees when ones home is programmed to remain in the 60's. We do not recommend using a FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT OR HEAT LAMPS on the aquarium or the use of corn cob or cedar shavings. This tends to dry out the hermit crabs, and or dehydrate them.Hermit crabs are not aggressive like many of the sea crabs and can be handled, climbing on the outstretched palm of your hand without difficulty but it is wll to avoid the large purple pincher claw which is used for defense and for holding onto limbs for climbing and for balancing. If one is misfortunate enough to have a crab pinch the skin, place the area where the pincher and the skin meet under hot water. The pincher will normally turn lose immediately. The smaller claw is used to pass food and water to the mouth. The name "HERMIT" is misapplied for in the wild they live and travel in colonies of a few dozen to over a hundred. It is recommended that in captivity they be kept in the company of other crabs for their own contentment. They communicate by sound and it is not uncommon to hear them "talking" to each other. They seldom fight except occasionally over a shell dispute. They are clean and odorless and may be released in the home for exercize and for observation of their comical anitcs if desired. They are good climbers and will enjoy coral or any type of non-resinous wood placed in their aquarium to exercise on. Like most other creatures, they respond to gentle care and learn to trust their keeper. It is known that some crabs have been kept in the home as pets for as long as 15 years.Land hermit crabs cannot reproduce in captivity. Their eggs much hatch in the sea. Like other crabs they grow by shredding their outer exoskeleton. This is the most important step toward growth a small crab will make. During this time they shed all their skin (which looks like an empty skeleton of a crab.) They need to be kept extra moist and in a medium into which they can burrow themselves. It also may be necessary to isolate the crab for a couple of days because they are very soft, vulnerable and inactive. However this is an important stage of development for it is in this period that any missing legs, etc., are regenerated by the crabs. Older crabs molt less frequently but require the same care. As the crab grows they will need spare shells to grow into and they also seem to enjoy moving into empty shells to select the home taht feels best. It is advisable to NEVER attempt to remove a crab from its sea shell because it will allow itself to be torn apart rather than give up it's protective home.Stress is the most common problem seen with hermit crabs. Ramifications of stress are lethargic crabs, and those which leave their shell without returning to it. If this happens pleas call FMR.It is also comforting to know that hermit crabs do not carry or transmit any known diseases to mankind and they are hypo-allergenic, great as a pet for those with allergies

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

FMR has a great reputation. From what I know, they provide no substrate or hidey spots for their jumbos. They do not print expiration dates on their bottles of food, nor seal their bottles properly. Their care sheet is sorely lacking, and does not adequately address the humidity issue. They always recommend tetracycline for many symptoms, and I don't feel that is appropriate. They have their whole marketing deal, and it is wrong. Those open display cages they have their vendors put crabs in give the complete opposite idea on how to house crabs. People see cages, think that is appropriate. Their food is an incomplete food source, yet sold under the idea that it will supply most all of the crabs needs.This is my opinion,Gertie