Petstore Conditions

Archived information regarding hermit crab welfare work done online, in pet stores and in the wild. Also discussions about the larger ramifications of keeping crabs as pets, captive breeding, etc.

jgfceit

Petstore Conditions

Post by jgfceit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:25 am

So, I walk into Petland Discounts a couple of months ago, looking to buy hermit crabs. It takes me a few minutes to find the tank, and I'm HORRIFIED at what I see. About 20 shells sitting in a 5 gallon tank with absolutely NO water in sight! Now, you might ask why I say "shells". Well, not one single "shell" was moving or walking around! They had some kind of weird bugs in there, and less than an inch of sand. And they were using those weird plastic confetti strings as moss.Needless to say, I was shocked. I demanded to talk to the caretaker of the hermit crabs, and he walked over. He was a pretty nice guy, actually. Here's his responses to my arguments (Not exact statements, of course):Water: "The company says we need to wet the sand, not put in any."Mites: "We clean the cage every day."Sand: "That's how much they give us to put in."And on and on and on...How can PLD get away with this? The first chance I get, I will be writing an angry letter to them about the way they treat their hermit crabs. Petco, on the other hand, has two inches of proper substrate, temperature and humidity gauges, moss, water, and a CLEAN tank.Not sure about Petsmart, though...What do you guys think?
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

Topic author
Miko

Petstore Conditions

Post by Miko » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am

i went to petsmart when i got all my goodies for my 10g and i was looking at the hermits and they had no water so i waited around for the"fish" guy but he never showed so when i checked out i told the lady who checked me out and she called him over i talked to him for a few min and whent and took care of it every thing else looked ok..im almost out of shrimp for my lil guys so im going to go back and check on them soon
5PP's and 1E, 67g Tank. 1Dog and a kid!!

jgfceit

Petstore Conditions

Post by jgfceit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 am

I wish my place would do that...(Sigh)
My Point(s) Of View

Topic author
Miko

Petstore Conditions

Post by Miko » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:45 am

go in there every day if you can and have a few freinds that know wuts going on they get enough people in there complaning thay will do something

Topic author
Miko

Petstore Conditions

Post by Miko » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am

have you looked at the other animals?? are they being taking care of the right way??

jgfceit

Petstore Conditions

Post by jgfceit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:04 am

They look all right...it's just those hermit crabs...I don't actually go in there that often, but I'll try!
My Point(s) Of View