The Hermit Crab Patch (formerly known as The Crabbage Patch)

This is where links to crab-related websites are posted with the opportunity for members to recommend or critique each site. Please be polite, even if you have a complaint. No advertising or introductions by store owners, please. All threads in this forum must be pre-approved by Administrators before being posted.

Christa

Post by Christa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:48 am

This is a re-post from a post I made at the HCAA dear old friend called me up on Friday and told me that she has started a new website, The Hermit Crab Patch. Her name is Tammy and we met at the 2002 HCA Convention in Sarasota. She has been crabbing almost as long as I have and really knows her stuff! So if you get a minute you might want to check out the site. Tammy is the only crab hobbyist (not scientist) I know who has been able to keep zoea (hermie larvae) alive for more than a couple days. Her last breeding experiment went awry because of the Ph balance in the saltwater, but she has a new info on zoea that she will be posting soon. I'm going to keep mum on this new info though and let her post it on her own time. She actually sells hermit crabs but only sells crabs that have already molted in captivity, and also she only ships UPS next-day air which means the shipping is expensive. But! on the bright side it reinforces that finally, after years and years, there is a crab retailer that puts the health of the crabs first. Tammy's crabs live outside where they can enjoy the balmy Florida weather and where they can dig down in the earth to molt if necessary. If you get a few minutes you might want to stop by and visit her site. I will get a link up to her site on hermit-crabs.com as soon as I can, but right now I don't have 'net access at home. Happy crabbing! Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

tnyfootprntz

Post by tnyfootprntz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:44 am

Hehe, I just got through placing an order. The soil supplement is worm castings, BTW. Her pricing is quite reasonable, I think. (Hubby might not agree when he sees how much stuff I ordered!) The Crabbage Patch is a very well-laid out and informative site, I love it and will recommend it (along with LHC) to anyone interested in hermit crabs from now on. Oh, and now I can pronounce "Coenobita" .

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:26 pm

I got all my stuff today (shells, food, cork bark) and it is awesome! The crabs are going crazy for the worm castings as we speak. I got to speak with Tammy on the phone and she is so sweet. I highly recommend this store.
~ crabbing since 2003

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi All. just a quick note to tell you all that I placed an order from The Crabbage Patch. I had a few questions and spoke to Tammy herself ..she is a groovy woman and answered all my questions. We even had a great convo regarding all things Crab....and I am looking forward to getting my order. She is sending me some Worm Castings to try and I am truly looking forward to trying anything new for my crablets! Peace and Blessed Be, Carmen...Queen of All things Groovy

Dawn38

Post by Dawn38 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:28 am

I got my stuff today!! I was like a kid at Christmas.lol I can't believe how fast it got here. I just placed the order on Sunday. She sent me some sea cookies for free. I boiled the shells, dipped them in salt water and put them in the tank. I also add a cookie and some of the worm casings.Hopefully I get some shell changes. I also hope the worm casings are a hit too. lolDawn

avic

Post by avic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 am

Wonderful wonderful wonderful! I ordered Worm Castings Moss and EE. The EE was a little higher priced then most online stores but her shipping was much more reasonable so I ordered from her. My babies are loving the Worm castings. And she sent me a free sample of Calcium cookies that i am sure will be a hit.I will be a return buyer thats for sure.Oh yea and SUPER SUPER fast shipping

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:03 pm

I got my order today too. A bag of 1/4" opening shells, a bag of 1/2" shells, an awesome cholla stick, worm castings, a little glass crabbie - how cute, and an awesome brown 2" opening turbo shell and they threw in crushed oyster. That's my 2nd order from them and they're great.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Crabby Abby

Post by Crabby Abby » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Bess Kuzma:Tammy, at the Crabbage Patch, has been in touch with me repeatedly about my new, and almost-all, molting hermit crabs. Her knowledge is obvious, and her professionalism terrific. I'd recommend her site and shop at five stars! I ordered three jumbo shells from her and they are gorgeous. She also sent a sample of the worm castings, and I'll order this product from her soon - my crabs love it! Bess Kuzma
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:53 pm

We love The Crabbage Patch! I've spoken w/Tammy before, she even sat on the phone while I emailed her pics of my Straws so we could pick out shells together. Fast shipping and personal service, what more could you ask for?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:20 am

I just wanted to give Tammy a Kudos also ! I have ordered from her a total of three times so far and she is wonderful!!! I called her last week to ask if I could use her brosure that she sent me on Crabs in a presentation for an elemantary school and she said " anything you need" . HOW WONDERFUL !! superfast shipping , great personal service and Excellent prices !! Thanks TAmmy !!!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:45 am

Hey all, I also use thecrabbagepatch for purchases. When I had problems with Grumpy, Tammy was very very helpful on what to do and how to do it. She has worked with me quite a bit when I've ordered the wrong shells or just when I've had problems in general. I did not know that she has kept the larvae alive I would like to see if it is possible to raise them from birth to actual crabs. Maybe I'll have to talk to her about that anyway she is very helpful and if you have to leave a message she get's back to u usually within 24 hrs. I'm glad everyone else has had a good experience here. ~Inari

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:27 pm

quote:Originally posted by Inari:Must want to keep their status in the tank Actually I was thinking that could quite literally be the case. Bigger shells might help in their dominance order.The shells arrived today and I was very impressed. The shells were beautiful, much nicer than the shells I already had (which I thought were pretty spiffy). Everything was wrapped immaculately - it was clear how much care had been taken.She also threw in a beautiful scallop shell and a large sample of worm castings. It was funny because these were the two other items that I very nearly bought. The shell will become my new main food dish (popcorn covered in honey, powered food and mysis). I have close to 100 shells now for my 7 crabs, but I'll definitely be buying from the crabbage patch again.Definitely one of the best online buying experiences I've ever had - and I buy EVERYTHING online!

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Yes, the wrapping, labeling, free samples are all terrific. I love the information sheets, too. First class operation all the way. I'm an online merchant and strive to give the kind of service Tammy does.

Post by Guest » Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 am

Made my first order last Friday night.Package arrived Monday, in perfect condition and even included a free sampler of worm dookie.Now that's my kind of service.

MusicalMeg

Post by MusicalMeg » Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 pm

I got my order today after school! It was like Christmas all over again! I, too, received a free sample of worm castings. I just realized that I ordered too big of shells, though. I always over-estimate their size. Try again! lol