Water?

Where to post if you have questions or concerns about your Isolation Tank ("ISO").

Topic author
Tippy&2More

Water?

Post by Tippy&2More » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 am

Does my IOS tank need water in it? Drinking water, of course yes, but salt water?
From Annie, the owners of Tippy, Zee and Wendy!

Theodora

Water?

Post by Theodora » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Yurp it does!

Crabby Wendy

Water?

Post by Crabby Wendy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:37 pm

I have a question about water. Ive been using distilled water in my tank for fresh water and also for my salt water mix. I assumed that this water was okay as I didn't think it had any chlorene or anything in it. However, I have not seen a single post that says anyone is using distilled water! Is it safe?? Should I be using something else? Do I need to use a water conditioner as well when using distilled water?
Crabby Wendy
...definitely a 55 gallon tank in my future.... coming soon... very, very soon....

Crabby Abby

Water?

Post by Crabby Abby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 pm

The one good thing about properly treated tap water is that it contains calcium, magnesium and minerals that distilled water now lacks because it's so pure. Personal choice; it's not bad for hermits but they derive no benefit from it either, sort of like giving them iceburg lettuce. No nutritional value.I use tap and treat it with API Tap Water conditioner. In the long run it's probably cheaper, too.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.

dylan644

Water?

Post by dylan644 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:13 am

With tap water though, you'll want a specific type of conditioner. One that removes Chlorine, chloramine, ammonia and heavy metals. Most water treating facilities today treat water with chloramine. It is chlorine and ammonia that has been chemically bound together. The conditioner most conditioners will break the chlorine/chloramine bond and eliminate heavy metals and chlorine, however ammonia is still left in the water. Since ammonia can kill and burn fish, it can do the same to hermit gills and soft body parts. You can safely use distilled water, but the cost adds up after while. It may be easier and more cost effective to call your water supply and ask what they treat the water with [chlorine or chloramine] and then get a conditioner that will solve either.Remember to look for a conditioner that list these:For treatment with chlorine:Chlorine or chloramine, heavy metalsFor treatment with chloramine:Chlorine or chloramine, ammonia, heavy metals

Crabby Abby

Water?

Post by Crabby Abby » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am

Ammonia is a chloramine.
-----------------------------------
Photobucket album
Spay or neuter your pet. It's a matter of life or death.