Glass Shells For Hermit Crabs

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

MornaStar

Post by MornaStar » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:51 am

I wanted to know what your take on Glass Shell Hermit crabs. I saw them at Petco and I wanted to get one (not because they have glass shells but because I want to get them OUT of the glass shells) I think that they are dangerous to the hermit crab, especially if they fall and crack and the glass is out on the sand with the rest of the crabs. But what are your takes on this? -Star
Sing For What You Feel Inside
R.I.P. Ashley 11/28/12
R.I.P. Ashley 2.0 4/3/13
I have 7 PPs named Alina, Jake, Ella, Jinxx, Sammi, Andy, and Juliet

jgfceit

Post by jgfceit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:53 am

That's true, about them falling. I would personally give them a choice between glass and actual shells, and see which they pick.
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:49 am

@MornaStar, the way the glass shells are made they have some impact resistance but they will micro fracture and these tiny fissures in the glass could result in a larger crack or even a shard coming off which is a serious danger risk to both the crab in the shell and the others in the enclosure.I'd avoid them but thats just my personal preference.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jgfceit

Post by jgfceit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:27 am

Does anyone here have a crab with a glass shell?
My Website (Check it out!):
My Point(s) Of View
Three PP's: Sporta and Curiosity

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 am

@jgfceit, not that I'm aware of but I would be interested to know myself if we do have anyone here who has crabs in these glass shells.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:56 pm

The whole purpose of a regular shell is to protect the crab from other creAtures. In glass they still can be seen and become stressed when they are trying to retreat and hide in their shells. For new crabs that just have been purchased this can be overly stressful and cause p.p.s. Then the fact that glass can crack or break if they happen to fall from something high or in their tank and hit rocks or water dishes.

Hermitcrabgirl

Post by Hermitcrabgirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:24 am

In my opinion, I would not buy glass shells. If they crack or break, that is very dangerous. Also the whole point of a shell is to hide and provide protection. How can they do that when you can see them hiding and their entire body that is meant to be hidden? That's right, they can't. And my last reason is if you ever (I hope you never did or will) drop your hermit, the glass will shatter and the crab will die. So you might want to stay on the safe0 side and avoid glass shells.