Infected Claw

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:24 am

Well, I ended up soaking her with the solution as-is. Hopefully it will be okay. She did end up drinking some, and I left her in for only about 5 minutes. Now, when I say that it looks like an infection, here is what I mean. The pictures below are a progression with the dates taken. The picture (lower left corner) with the red blob on the claw not only shows some of the areas of concern, but also where the missing part of the big claw is supposed to be. There are also two dots on the feeder claw that were there before, and may be nothing, but I do not remember them being so pronounced. You can see the change from the middle left shot with the one in the middle right. There was no dark depression there the last time I took pictures. This is the first day it has been here, and it looks extensive on that segment of the leg. Also, on the large claw, you can see two depressions (brown spots). They were there before, but as with the feeder claw, they are slightly darker now (or I am being paranoid and making more out of them than I need to). Cutie Pie's demeanor is cautious. She is still active, but a little slower than normal. She perked up after sitting in the bath though. Hopefully she liked it.
--
My crab babies: (Es): Badoos, Ryuunosuke (Ryuu), and Spot. (PPs): Cutie Pie, Hermes, Mike, Rose, Russell, Scuttles, Steve, Toothless, and Zeus. 14 rescues either in recovery or ready to adopt - All PP.
RIP: "2005", Love River, Butch, Yumayie, Mini-Me, Bob, Pinky (and) The Brain, Palm Guy, and Nico.
In memorium: Rescues who just did not make it

Rachel Lillie

Infected Claw

Post by Rachel Lillie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 am

I was reading something about shell rot yesterday and it come in colors like that, is it possible that that is the infection? If it is that is a fairly contagious thing I believe

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 am

Yes it does, and I think it is very possible. I have seen pictures before as well, and this is very similar. It looks like it is spreading. I made sure the bath coated her everywhere. Since she will not come all the way out, I do not know if it is affecting her within the shell as well. I was hesitant to do it since the marshmallow root makes a slime coating (which can be bad for the gills), but whatever it is, it is spreading fast. She is completely isolated from the others, and I even sanitize my hands after handling her. I think that the only good news right now is that she is still active.
--
My crab babies: (Es): Badoos, Ryuunosuke (Ryuu), and Spot. (PPs): Cutie Pie, Hermes, Mike, Rose, Russell, Scuttles, Steve, Toothless, and Zeus. 14 rescues either in recovery or ready to adopt - All PP.
RIP: "2005", Love River, Butch, Yumayie, Mini-Me, Bob, Pinky (and) The Brain, Palm Guy, and Nico.

ashdawn14

Infected Claw

Post by ashdawn14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:51 am

I've got no advice to add, but I'm sending healthy crabby vibes your way!

Keg

Infected Claw

Post by Keg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 am

@EscapeAsked about what to do in this situation, a careful nurse would tend to say, "Ask the doctor." So I went to an online vetranarian and asked him how to treat the wound. He was online and was willing to answer in 9 seconds. But he wanted $18 so I thought maybe I'd just give you the link.http://www.justanswer.com/sip/...f6664CFWsaQgod-2MiIg

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:52 am

I am sorry I missed your post yesterday Escape!I would continue to do the baths every couple of days but dab the infected spots with a Q-tip soaked in salt water daily (it won't hurt since you're not bathing in the salt water). You can also use a small syringe and squirt some salt water in his shell just in case there's something brewing inside the shell that you can't see. Keep us posted! I hope he's OK.
~ crabbing since 2003

Topic author
Jimmy

Infected Claw

Post by Jimmy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 am

Good luck with the crab. I hope he's all right. I haven't had any expierence with this type of situation but the answer involving Q-tips and salt water seems like a logical solution to me.
6 Purple Pinchers: Two E's.
Demon, Cabela's Gimli
San Fransisco Gandalf
Coconut, Stitch
King Kong Junior

Crabber85

Infected Claw

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:18 am

I agree with CA and Nicole continue with the salt soaks as salt water has natural healing properties.The herbal remedy may work so keep up with that as well.Shell rot is something that effects all crustaceans and is highly prominent in shrimp and can be passed from shrimp to shrimp which gave way to the worry that since hermitcrabs are so closely related to shrimp that it could be passed from shrimp to crab.Once shell rot sets in not even a molt or several can fully heal it because of the nature of the infection.Basically the underlying tissue goes necrotic and this effects the outer layer causing it to weaken and eventually rot away.When shrimp farmers encounter this infection they typically loose all of the infected shrimp and have to shut the infected pool down to keep it from spreading to the others.Chitinolytic Bacteria feed on the chitin of the exo skeleton after entering through a wound or crack in the exo.As of now the only know treatment for this infection is medicinal baths and even these have limited effects.I don't know of single vet that knows thing one about hermitcrabs because they are not generally considered as pets in the same sense as a dog or cat there isn't much known about how to treat them.I'm sorry your going through this and I hope for the best for your crabby.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 pm

That is depressing news, although I am not giving up right now. I have a question that I am really horrified to ask. I do NOT want to do this, but what about amputating the two affected limbs? I really do not want to do that, because loosing the limbs would be hard even if they just fell off, but to do it on purpose is almost unthinkable, but I know in people, when something like gangrene sets in, amputation is pretty much the only remedy. I do *not* want to do this, but if push comes to shove, would that be an option?? I can't believe I am even asking it. :/
--

Keg

Infected Claw

Post by Keg » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm

If it is necrotic, won't it have the smell?

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:38 am

!!! I did not call my vet because I didn't think they could do anything, but I am researching a treatment and I called to see if maybe they have what I am looking for and one of their vets treats exotics and owns crabs!!! She is at lunch, so I left a message with everything I have done to help Cutie Pie (and how it happened) and she should call me back today. I hope she can do something.
--

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 pm

A crab will normally drop a limb too damaged to use. I would not consider amputation because of the stress it would put on him.How is he behaving today?
~ crabbing since 2003

Escape

Infected Claw

Post by Escape » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Behavior is good. Limb, not so much. I realize that she may drop the limb, but what I am afraid of is the infection spreading to the other limbs or her main body. I think the term is called going septic. I have not done anything yet, but I do have the items I need if I do decide to. Honestly, I do not want to and I am researching a lot on it. I have done procedures on animals before, but never anything like a crab. I am not going to just jump and do it. I did mention my vet. She said that she was hesitant to do anything on any hermit crabs other than her own, but I did get the name of a vet about an hour away that does deal with crabs. I cannot speak with him until Monday though. I will see how she is doing in the AM. The claw is looking nasty. Her attitude is really good though. Every time I pick her up, she pops out of her shell and says "Hi!"
--

Crabber85

Infected Claw

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Like I told Keg the infection has been present long enough that is already present throughout the entire body so amputation really isn't going to do much more than stress the crab further.The type of bacteria responsible for shell rot in crustaceans stays in the body waiting for injuries to occur that would have exo damage associated and when that happens it rushes to the injured spot and begins doing it's damage.Shell rot in turtles is caused by a fungus so the treatment typically recommended it won't really do much if anything to the bacteria.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Nicole

Infected Claw

Post by Nicole » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:27 pm

I have a message out to the two original creators of the medicinal bath about your crab, Escape. Waiting to hear back from them - hold tight and just keep using salt water for now!
~ crabbing since 2003