White squishy globs

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

KittCat

White squishy globs

Post by KittCat » Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 am

"White squishy globs" is the closest description I can provide. I'm brand new to my Hermies. I have poured over how to take care of them, what to do, what not to do. They're doing great! I have found these "white squishy blobs" on top of their substrate. It appears to be some sort of waste. Any help? Is it waste, and I just need to remove it? Am doing something wrong and my Hermies are in danger? Thanks!

Keg

White squishy globs

Post by Keg » Sat May 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank. I don't know what it is, but I would get rid of it.

Crabber85

White squishy globs

Post by Crabber85 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:01 pm

It would help if we could see a pic of these white blobs but my first inclination sight unseen is that you may be looking at hermitcrab eggs that have been shed in any event I would just remove them and toss them, if they are eggs there is no real way to save them at this point and they will stink the tank up as the begin to decompose.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

KittCat

White squishy globs

Post by KittCat » Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks for responding, guys! I haven't seen anymore since the last post. I will post a pic as soon as there are more. I'm a tad concerned for my Pumpkin and Honey. They're not eating very much. Honey is starting to dig around, so maybe she's trying to molt? Do they normally have a descent appetite unless they're starting a molt? I also haven't seen many signs they're in the water dishes, either. One is fresh, dechlorinated and one is prepared salt water, of course. Fresh food nightly. I have "hermit crab food" that is crushed, but also fresh blueberries and spinach. I've given them honey, which it looked like they enjoyed. But is that good for them every night? I just wanted to see if they would eat something. Humidity stays around 80%. Their carbitat temp is just above 70 degrees. I'm still playing with locations in the house, heaters, and space heaters. Any suggestions would be great!

Topic author
** Nonna**

White squishy globs

Post by ** Nonna** » Sun May 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi KittCat! Welcome to LHC! Let's look at your first concern for Pumpkin and Honey not eating too much. That's normal for crabs that were in poor conditions. They may just walk around and pick at a little of this and that. Often we see exactly what Honey is doing; walking and starting to dig. When in captivity, they are unable to molt due to poor conditions so they produce a hormone that prevents the molting. Once in a 'safer' place they can relax and think about molting. Don't be surprised if one morning you wake up and you don't see Honey. Don't panic! She probably went down to either destress or to molt. Be happy that she felt safe enough to do so!! Try to make sure that you have lots of shells for them when they come up from molting. We definitely want to get rid of any shells that were painted to look cute. When one switches shells, please through away the previous shell that they came in as they can be toxic to our crabs.Now, prior to a molt a couple of things consistently happen. #1) they usually eat like little piggies and 2) they drink and drink! This prepares them for a long time under ground without food or water. What are you using to make your salt water? Instant Ocean? Personally, my crabs (I have 26 of different species) don't usually do their drinking or eating until the lights are out for the evening and they have their privacy. You may want to dbl chk your salt water ratio to be sure it's correct.Your doing great feeding them fresh fruit and veggies! Shred some carrots, cabbage, celery leaves, apples, coconut, scrambled eggs (in micro, no butter or salt) bananas etc. And keep up the protein! It has a calming effect and helps reduces fighting. Humidity is great but try bumping up the heat to 75-78* for more activity. Others will pitch in with me I'm sure so look for more postings. Best of luck!!Nonna
In a years time and my 2nd childhood with Hermit Crabs, I now have 23 Hermies!! Purple Pinchers, Indos, Violas, Blueberry's, E's and one lone Strawberry!

KittCat

White squishy globs

Post by KittCat » Sun May 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks Nonna! The salt water is the bottled stuff from the pet store. I was waiting for ZooMed salt water conditioner to arrive from Amazon (is this stuff okay). We've moved their house again with its own space heater and their heaters. What are signs of distress? They both come out of their shell and climb my fingers and appear healthy enough. But could this only be because I'm aggravating them?

Crabber85

White squishy globs

Post by Crabber85 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:49 pm

@KittCat, the Zoo-Med water conditioners for fresh and salt water are known to contain potentially harmful dyes and do relatively little in the way of neutralizing chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.You need to use a good tap water conditioner like API, Top Fin or Jungle that states on the bottle that it removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.To do salt water use either Instant Ocean or Oceanics marine grade aquarium salts use one table spoon of salt to one gallon of water to make full strength salt water.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

White squishy globs

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun May 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Organic peanut butter is always a good protein source organic baby foods, beech nut brands have some good ones .I take these and put in small Baggies and freeze then break off what you need. A good rule of thumb is no hands on for a month , just feed and water that's it. Gives them time time to " chill " they come from very successful conditions and then being handled a lot on top of it. Some crabs will " come out " after you when picked up and Some will retreat , smoosh way back . Some crabs will also do trial runs of molting. They will go down for a week then come back up and keep doing this for several weeks then decide to stay down for a month or longer depending on the size of the crab. Boiled eggs that are cooled they love to. I just smash the whole thing in their food bowl. Their is a food list on here. I would give them as much human non season food as you can and I tell you there is a lot out there they can have that you eat that make them healthier!!! I haven't bought crab food in a container in years!

jenok

White squishy globs

Post by jenok » Wed May 27, 2015 7:23 am

quote:Originally posted by Crabber85:To do salt water use either Instant Ocean or Oceanics marine grade aquarium salts use one table spoon of salt to one gallon of water to make full strength salt water. Sorry to butt in but I thought it was 1 tablespoon for a bottle of water?That's what I've been giving mine. I mix 1 tablespoon to 1 - 16 oz bottle of water.

Crabber85

White squishy globs

Post by Crabber85 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:55 pm

@jenok, your right thanks for catching that I've been very busy lately not getting much sleep.lolThe correct ratio is 8 table spoons to one gallon of water...
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

White squishy globs

Post by jenok » Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 am

It happens. I think this is the first time that I caught something that was typed in wrong on your part anyway so don't beat yourself up to bad.Lucky I did catch it though cuz that's a big difference.

Keg

White squishy globs

Post by Keg » Fri May 29, 2015 4:59 pm

@ KittCatI agree 70 degrees seems too cold. I think around 77 is ideal. What is your room temperature surrounding the tank?I agree with LAURIE that organic baby food is a good idea. I believe the naturally red colored foods are good for the crab's colors (assuming they are purple pinchers). Also, baby food is one of the few foods that leave evidence when the crab eats it.A picture of your crabitat is always helpful. It makes it easier to comment on.If you can find maple leaves in your area that are definitely not sprayed with insecticide, they are a good source of cellulose for the crab. Also they leave evidence of being eaten, and the dried leaves make a lot of noise when the crab walks on them. So you can notice more of what they do.I got my last maple leaves from a nursery in Oregon. They had to hand pick them from a forest because their nursery leaves are grown with nonorganic fertilizers. It is difficult to buy maple leaves online.