Looking for opinions on Repti-Fogger by Zoo-Med.

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Keg

Looking for opinions on Repti-Fogger by Zoo-Med.

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:59 am

Last night I left the Vicks fogger on overnight by itself without the Honeywell swamp cooler.I turned the swamp cooler off because it is noisy and I wanted to watch movies in peace. In the morning, the humidity was better than ever. I think the swamp cooler might have been blowing alot of humidity past the tank.I am inclined to throw the swamp cooler out because it develops mold and the "element" has to be replaced periodically.I may keep it in reserve though. If the weather gets very hot and dry, the humidified wind might be life saving. The fog might not work the same way in regard to temperature.

Topic author
Keg

Re: Looking for opinions on Repti-Fogger by Zoo-Med.

Post by Keg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:03 pm

A summary of my thoughts on foggers in general:
1) Must use distilled water. This is available at Target for as low as $0.88/gal which is the same as purified gallons. This is ok for the crab and unlike spring water, will not create large amounts of airborne dust. And it won't clog. I think this will also not clog my water pik which generally stop working after a year. I will try that.

2) Distilled water on a human sized unit may run a gallon a day or more to run continuously , so if you can't afford $400 a year or so more in your budget, don't do it. Reptile sized units probably much less but it will add something to overhead cost.

3) My crab didn't like the fog for awhile, probably because her gills were dried out from years of not getting enough humidity. After that she didn't like it due to mold in the unit. But now, problem solving and adaptation has occurred. The fog is our friend as long as it isn't too much.

4) Many public water companies don't use chlorine anymore; The use chloramine, which doesn't evaporate away for days (see links below). This is good to know if you expect to evaporate it by letting it set.

DOES YOUR WATER CONTAIN CHLORAMINE?
https://nutristart.com/does-your-water- ... hloramine/
Jun 4, 2013 - The EPA maintains that, like chlorine, chloramine effectively controls biofilm, ... but chloramine takes days to evaporate, meanwhile working to kill off .... of chloraminated water on the counter it doesn't take days to come out, ...

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinki ... ction.html

http://gardening.stackexchange.com/ques ... th-harmful
Chloraminated water is safe to use for drinking and cooking.
Chlorine and monochloramine can be harmful to fish because they directly enter their bloodstream through the gills.

Nikkimorey420

Re: Looking for opinions on Repti-Fogger by Zoo-Med.

Post by Nikkimorey420 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

My hermit thermometer says 100 tropical and temperature at 63.is the tropical..ok or bad what should it read THANK YOU NICOLE