declorinating water measurments question

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Sun May 24, 2015 10:49 am

Hi I need to make a new batch of water today and I bought my water declorinator but it says 5ml (1tsp) for 10 gallons. And I'm only capable of making one gallon at a time. Which would be 1/10 do a teaspoon or .5 ml. So my question is how would I measure that? Would I put like 1-2 drops? Also if I HAD TO, like if I had no choice and I had to eyeball it which would be better to be a little over or a little under? I don't want to hurt them by doing too little and making it pointless to use it but I don't want to put so much it poisons them or something. Thank you .
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:44 pm

I use the Jungle brand water conditioner and it says that one cap full of dechlorinator will treat ten gallons of water and I only mix up one gallon at a time and use the entire cap full just to make sure that the water is being conditioned properly and I've been doing this for years now and it hasn't hurt my crabs yet.The danger would be to under do the conditioner, the way tap water conditioners work is that they use two or three different chemicals that work together to neutralize chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals by bonding to them and stripping them of one key element which renders them immobile and inert/safe, these neutralizers are completely safe so theoretically there should be no risk of overdosing because they don't interact directly with the fish or in our case hermitcrabs.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun May 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Huh?? I have only been doing 3 drops per gal. I don't remember where I got that measurement from..

paperheartz

Post by paperheartz » Mon May 25, 2015 12:26 pm

i use Aqueon water conditioner. and it has a measuring cap and says to use it to the 5ml line for every 10 gallons. So, im glad to know you are doing something similar (as in using the 10 gallon dosage for one gallon). and its good to know that i dont have to be worried about over dosing it it makes life alot easier. thank you for the information. @LAURIE also, im glad i brought this up since youve only been using 3 drops maybe its something to think about to maybe up the dose. but whatever works for your crabbies is best <3
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to

Topic author
jenok

Post by jenok » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 am

Not necessarily. I use the API which says to use 1 drop per gallon of water, but I usually do 2. That's probably one of the reasons I got it instead of the other brands since it was easy to use no matter how much I needed. And API is supposed to be a trusted brand.