What would be too big for a hermit carb tank?

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Zooylew

Post by Zooylew » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:44 am

Hello!So We are getting one more hermit crab friend from a lady who's son no longer wants them after a few years... They would keep them but it's tank mates have been passing away left and right. I believe he/she is an Ecuadorian... anyway Our tinny ten gallon isn't going to cut is anymore. So I have three ways of making their cage bigger... I could take two ten gallons and make a wire tube thing leading back and forth, reseal a 30 gallon tall, or Possibly give them a 55 gallon. The 55 gallon all depends on if I'm getting a 75 gallon for my snakes. But what do you think? It would only be for four crabs probably five we would looks for another Ecuadorian buddy for the new one.
When I look at an animal I don't just see an animal I see an Equal

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:56 pm

The only restraint on tank size is the space you have in your home, up until very recently I'd been using a 121 gallon aquarium for my eleven hermitcrabs but due to financial issues I couldn't keep the maintenance up and had to move them back to their old forty gallon breeder.Since you've had snakes in the 55 you would need to sterilize and sanitize the tank before putting your crabs in, use a mix of one cup bleach to three cups water and spray the tank down then wipe it out thoroughly then rinse it out well and allow at least forty eight hours for the tank to completely air dry and for the bleach smell to evaporate.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Wire tube passing from tank.to another won't work. It won't keep your temp and humidity up. Just remember to with more gallons comes more $$ with filling it with eco earth or sand. The older you get sometimes it gets harder to clean, space in where to move it. If I had to do it all over again I would just stuck to my 29/ 30 gallon and said no more crabs!

Zooylew

Post by Zooylew » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:30 pm

There have not been any snakes in there yet... I am trying to decide if I am going to keep everyone is tanks or In a rack system. But I will keep that in mind... what about a solid pipe? Size is not an issue neither is cleaning... being 15 has that advantage haha. I have many smaller caged animals so it wouldn't be a big deal money's not really either.. I pay for my sisters and my pets... .
When I look at an animal I don't just see an animal I see an Equal

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:33 am

Then its really just up to you what you put them in. I think the E's require slightly more heat than the pp's have to have, so keep your tank closer to 80.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Pvc pipe is not recommended it releases toxin if I remember..and you don't want metal. If you could find a plexiglass glass type tube that would be great.. you are not keeping snakes and crabs together right?