Got some Hawthorn Berries

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Went back to the health food store and I got some Hawthorn berries. Are they safe to feed ??

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 pm

I could not find Hawthorn Berries on any of our lists so I'm going to go no on giving them to the crabs.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 pm

quote:Originally posted by Crabber85:I could not find Hawthorn Berries on any of our lists so I'm going to go no on giving them to the crabs. Ok thanks .. I am exactly the same way. According to your signature, I have autism too and I can seem rude also

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:38 am

What I can find on Hawthorn Berries is that humans and animals can eat the berries but not the seeds, which seem to contain Cyanide.Scientific Classification of Crataegus OxyacanthaKingdom = PlantaeOrder = RosalesFamily = RosaceaeGenus = CrataegusSpecies = C. oxyacanthaBinomial name = Crataegus OxyacanthaHawthorn Chemical composition:1 Vitamin C.2 Flavonoids : Quercetin, Hyperoside, Rutin,Flavonoglycosyls,Vitexin-4'-rhamnoside.3 Glycosides.4 Oligomeric procyanidins (OPC) - epicatechol.5 Anthocyanidins and Proanthocyanidins (biflavans)6 Saponins and Tannins.7 Cratetegin (most prevelant in flowers > leaves >berries).8 Other chemical constituents: a) Cardiotonic amines: Phenylethylamine, Tyramine, Isobutylamine, O-methoxy phenylethylamine; b) Choline andacetylcholine; c) Purine derivatives : Adenosine,Adenine, Guanine, Caffeic acid; d) Amygdalin; e)Pectins; f) Triterpene acids : Ursolic acid, Oleonicacid, Crategolic acid

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:16 am

@Shawn, they also contain tannins which have been shown to have a huge negative impact on cattle because tannins are acid they tend to attach to protein molecules and destroys them which has led to muscle loss in cows and horses and has even been banned in cattle and pet foods by the FDA.Hermitcrabs don't tolerate heavy doses of tannins well as the tannin darkens/alters the color of the exoskeleton and can lead to muscle atrophy/destruction which impacts molts and overall health.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

malacophile

Re: Got some Hawthorn Berries

Post by malacophile » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Crabber85 wrote:@Shawn, they also contain tannins which have been shown to have a huge negative impact on cattle because tannins are acid they tend to attach to protein molecules and destroys them which has led to muscle loss in cows and horses and has even been banned in cattle and pet foods by the FDA.Hermitcrabs don't tolerate heavy doses of tannins well as the tannin darkens/alters the color of the exoskeleton and can lead to muscle atrophy/destruction which impacts molts and overall health.
:hlol: