Finally adding Es to my PP tank (?)

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Mindibun

Post by Mindibun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:40 am

Hi all!Been away for a while but everyone is doing great. I have 4 large PP crabs in a 55 gallon(The 55 gallon) I recently started working as a manager at a local pet store and we have Ecuadorian hermits. I've changed their setup to reflect a PROPER one as best I can while still following the corporate rules for their care. There are a few that I've had my eye on and since the changes I've made they seem to be doing pretty well - even climbing the branches I added instead of just sleeping 24/7 at the bottom.I bought 8 shells that Es favor in slightly larger sizes than the painted shells they're in right now. I have a salt and fresh water pool. Humidity is 70-80% daily and temps range from 73* at night to 83* day time. You can see the depth of substrate in the photo above. I have UVB and heat bulbs on the tank. The 4 PP crabs I have are between 6 and 8 years old if I'm counting correctly. Obviously they're well cared for. Do you think adding 3 new Es under these conditions will be do-able or advisable?

** Nonna**

Post by ** Nonna** » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 am

Mindibun,Hi and welcome back! Absolutely add the E's! I have E's with Blueberries, Strawberries and PP's. Just remember that the E's need a bit higher temp in the tank and dbl chk the humidity requirements with the library we have. I love the energy of the E's! They really liven up the tank and your's is beautiful!! Have funNonna
In a years time and my 2nd childhood with Hermit Crabs, I now have 23 Hermies!! Purple Pinchers, Indos, Violas, Blueberry's, E's and one lone Strawberry!

Topic author
Mindibun

Post by Mindibun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Welp, I had messaged someone on Craigslist a while back offering to adopt the hermits they had for sale if no one else took them (I refuse to PAY someone to neglect and abandon their hermits...) and they messaged me today saying please come get them! So I've adopted two more medium-ish PPs and ONE ECUADORIAN! I guess it was meant to be. I'll bring home two more from work tomorrow and let them all adjust together. Luckily the three I just adopted seem to have been (relatively) well cared for. Two water bowls so I hope one was salt, and a food bowl (something corn based); two inches of sand (deeper than most people give) and a hiding spot (an old plant pot turned upside down, but hey, it's SOMETHING).They all three need a molt and some good food but they are active and seem well adjusted so here's hoping.

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:39 am

Good Luck!

Topic author
Mindibun

Post by Mindibun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 am

Two of the Es have changed shells several times already. One is in a gaudy spiderman shell and refuses to give it up. Maybe he's afraid to reveal his true identity. -lol-