Treating tap water vs filtering

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Keg

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:06 pm

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/...-24-h. ... 4.htmlThis aquarium club forum advises that letting water sit for 24 hours will not remove critical contaminants such as chloramine and heavy metals. They say Chlorine tends to evaporate in pipes so it is not always used in municipal systems. Also, it says dechlorinating agents do not necessarily remove other substances. So I need to do more research before I use the treated tap water.However... This looks promising:http://www.bigberkeywaterfilte...-new-testing-resultsThe Berkey water filter. It seems to resolve most of these cheimcal issues. I happen to have one of these that I was saving for the end of the world. But that will have to wait. The critical questions I have to find are1) How do these test results compare to bottled water2) How long will the filters last.Azazul won't expire for another 17 years or so. I was only planning to live 9 years after the fall, so I may need more filters.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Well I don't use filtered water , I have always used drops in my water straight from the tap.. I have had crabby paddy since 2009 and no issues

Keg

Post by Keg » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:58 am

Now I see the super walmart has a self serve water filling thing that charges 25 cents a gallon. At that price, it's barely worth filtering it myself using free water, since the filters must be replaced eventually. But I don't know if they actually service these water machines. No doubt it is monitored less stringently than bottled.In my area, pre-filled gallon jugs cost an average of $1.10 plus or minus 35 cents depending on whether it's for sale or a brand name. That's a little cheaper than bottled, but not alot.

jenok

Post by jenok » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:45 am

quote:Originally posted by Keg:http://www.myaquariumclub.com/...-24-h. ... 4.htmlThis aquarium club forum advises that letting water sit for 24 hours will not remove critical contaminants such as chloramine and heavy metals. They say Chlorine tends to evaporate in pipes so it is not always used in municipal systems. Also, it says dechlorinating agents do not necessarily remove other substances. So I need to do more research before I use the treated tap water. This is basically true which is why crabber85 always says to make sure your drops state on the bottle that they remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. Some only remove chlorine and not the rest. However most brands nowadays do remove all just double check to be safe.

Keg

Post by Keg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:33 am

Thanks jenok, I will look into that.One note about water quality. I just got a 2014 water report on quality of water on tap where I live. I think the Environmental Protection Agency has certain standards they require. This report shows what the actual levels of each contaminant are in local water. Even though there are national standards, I believe there is only so much that certain locales can achieve.According to this report, they achieved all the contaminant standards for tap water. However, they are also monitoring toxins that aren't regulated by the EPA, so it is not clear whether they are at safe levels or not since there's no standard. And 'allowable' tap water levels vs 'healthy for you levels' might be different things. They allow certain levels of nitrates and solvents in the water at small levels. I suspect that a good filter does not discriminate and takes those chemicals out (until the filter expires). Whereas the drops might not handle unexpected contaminants.****After a few days, I think that refilling gallon jugs at Walmart with filtered water is going to work out. Now it costs about 30 cents a day with the vicks fogger instead of three dollars a day with the honeywell humidifier and bottled water. Dumping in a gallon is faster and easier than bottles also. I haven't tasted it yet for quality.