tank cleaned, and so much poop found!

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
crazycrabber

Post by crazycrabber » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:16 am

I cleaned my three hermit crab's ten gallon tank yesterday. it took about two hours, and was hard work. Those tanks are heavy! Based on my own experience, I have found that eco earth is way better than playsand, and calcium sand. It holds in humidity so well, is good for growing plants, and spreads and loosens up. It is also best for my species of hermit crab, because they ( purple pincher hermit crabs) don't live on beaches, they live in terrestrial areas. I have found that the playsand will dominate other substrates and hardens, becoming chalky and thick. I combined it with eco earth the first time, and although there was quite a bit of eco earth, it still dominated, and my crabs were always hanging out at the top of the cholla wood, and sometimes i rarely saw them on the ground level. wondering if they really like playsand. I knew that calcium sand and eco earth both loosen things up considerably! This time, i used only the white, non colored, calci sand, non painted. I combined just a little bit of it with a lot of eco earth, and playsand, so the three substrates could one substarte that has a little bit of each. didn't put much calci sand, and it was mixed in. anyway, i was just wondering where all this sudden poop came from. Today i counted up to 40 pieces, and i cleaned their tank yesterday. At least now i really know that they are eating! anyway, they seem to be enjoying their clean tank!
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:17 am

If your putting calci sand in with play sand and eco they still will eat the calcium. They could be eating the eco to?? If I put calci in a dish ( recommended) and not mixed in with other substrate.I find more poop. I find tons of it when I put maple leaves in my tank. When I clean my tank I use a bucket and put my substrate in it and do what ever with it instead of trying to carry a tank full of substrate. Very dangerous to boot ( trip and fall ) and can cause stress cracks in your tank by picking it up w so much weight in it..Just some suggestions..

jenok

Post by jenok » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:22 am

I agree with laurie, I don't suggest picking the tank up when it has 6" of sand in it. To stressful for you and the tank.