Climbing out of water dishes

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:52 am

I'm leaving in the morning to go to Myrtle Beach. Hoping to come back next week with 6-8 of the smallest PPs I can find. I got a water dish (the kind they sale for reptiles - think it was Exto Terra) and have cleaned them & thought I was already .... my husband just asked if the little guys would be able to climb out ...... I thought so ....... now I'm not so sure . Can they get a grip on the edge or should I put something in for them to climb out?My son and I made a salt water pool for them out of a paint roller dish that we put seashells (that had been boiled) onto with aquarium sealer.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 pm

@jasonmom, depending on the depth of the dishes you might want to add something like smooth river stones or hemp netting draped over the side to allow for easier exiting.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Is the sides like stone texture or smooth? I have some dishes that are rocky stone/ bumpy texture that they can grip and then some that are smooth like a baby's butt. Same with some of my decorations, I had this palm tree and this pet store lady said crabs couldn't climb it..I should of took a picture with my crabs all over it, it was bumpy and had little textures to it.. you can also take part of fake vine or plant and put it in the water and set a stone on it and have it go out and bury the rest of it.