Animul vs Human culture clash

Where you post anything related to hermit crabs that does not fit into the categories below.

Topic author
Keg

Animul vs Human culture clash

Post by Keg » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:06 am

I believe that a crab "sort of" thinks I'm a big crab, in the same way that a cat "sort of" thinks I'm a big cat.Here's an example. If I wave at a cat, they get alarmed. They think I'm scratching at them, which for a cat is a very aggressive sign, given their anatomy. However if I wave (or rather wiggle my arms) at a crab, they interpret it as friendly antennas and they stop running. Because they think I'm a crab, I guess. Or maybe they appreciate the effort to learn their language.So there are a certain kind of gestures related to the animal's anatomy that they can't unlearn. If you insist on waving at a cat, they will take a long long time before they figure out that it is a human gesture that means the opposite of a cat gesture.By the same token, if I wiggle my arms at a crab, I believe they see a really big crab offering to be friendly, so they take the offer while they can. If I walk toward them without wiggling, they see a big angry crab approaching, even if they know me personally.I don't think crabs can form concepts like humans, but they do seem to remember. So I guess if I'm nice to them for a long time, they won't be able to associate any bad memories with me. Before they have a memory about me, that must get kind of scary for them (what now!!?) Like getting lifted up every once in awhile doesn't hurt, I hope they'll remember that.