My first

Where to post about the loss of your beloved pet hermit crabs. Replies are not permitted in this forum; please PM a member with your condolences for his or her loss.

Topic author
adoll

My first

Post by adoll » Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 pm

I'm sorry to say that my little guy, my first crabby, Jake is gone I don't know what Elwood will do without him they were a pair, Jake & Elwood, together at the petstore, went through my learning and then getting them a nice new home, both had great molts and then something just happened with Jake and I'm not sure what. I think he still might have been having some troubles from PPS (I've had them not even 2 months yet). They used to run around a lot, especially Jake but after burying down to molt and coming back up with whole legs (he had been missing part of one) he just wasn't as active and once they started tunneling we never saw him. Then I came home yesterday and I could see his shell sitting awkwardly at the top of a tunnel and he didn't move at all as I filled water, got food, etc when normally he would hide or at least move from where he was. I bumped his shell a little, which would have definitely made him move and nothing...I picked it up and he was out of it completely. I never realized how bad his shell was, its hard to explain but he never changed out of it. He'd check out the others but never move. I put him and his shell, another shell under the cocohut (he was still alive at this time but didnt see to be doing well) and sadly I had to leave for the night. I stopped home this morning and he was gone, no death smell yet but it was easy to tell and there was no movement. I had said to my bf when we got our crabs (Jake was my pick but then I figured I should get him a friend and we choose Elwood and he was more the bf's crab) "Why does mine have to be Jake? He dies." as in the Blues Brothers incase you didnt know. And now it's happened, he's gone Hopefully next week I'll be able to move at least one of the crabbies I got in April into the 10 gal with Elwood so he's not totally alone! *sigh* RIP Jakey T. Crab I wish I could have done more...