RIP Tennant

Where to post about the loss of your beloved pet hermit crabs. Replies are not permitted in this forum; please PM a member with your condolences for his or her loss.

Topic author
Geranium

RIP Tennant

Post by Geranium » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:38 am

Tennant joined our family at the end of July. He and most of his purchase mates were named after Dr. Who characters. My younger daughter didn't like the name Doctor for him but she wanted a Doctor represented so she named him Tennant after David Tennant who played the doctor. He was her favorite Doctor. He was a small but he was the largest of our 16. He was so sweet. We brought him home and before we even got the rest of his purchase mates into the tank with him, he had changed out of that awful painted shell that had "RAT" painted on it, and into a nice natural though plain one. He then dug under for a week. I don't know if he molted or was just destressing but he came back up and everyone else went under. He trashed the tank daily that next week. He moved almost everything, dumped water dishes. I put in a shower caddy and put one of the water dishes up there. He stopped dumping them at that point. He spent the next 3 weeks mostly on the cholla wood watching the main tank. Once his month of ISO was up, I put him and his buddies in the main tank. The "older" boys chased him around and annoyed him but they seemed to have worked things out by the end of the day. He dug under at that point and I didn't see him again until we had a problem with one of the crabs. (long story) I dug him (and everyone else) up at that point, took some photos and put everyone back in the tank where they promptly went back under. I found him a few days later in a hut. He didn't move when I picked him up. I covered and protected him. Checked a week later, still didn't move. Put him in ISO, a week and a half later still hadn't moved and it was clear he had died. When we realized we may be losing him (lost him) my daughter noted that when David Tennant's Doctor changed (as fans will understand) he had such trouble with the transition both when the actor took on the role and when he gave up the role. She said maybe he had molting problems too.I'm so very sad. He is missed terribly already.http://www.facebook.com/photo....44183& ... theaterPeg