Uncovered Molter

Where to post and/or get advice about your molting hermit crab(s). Includes pre-molting, molting, and post-molting issues.

Topic author
ILoveHermies

Uncovered Molter

Post by ILoveHermies » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:51 am

So I had to move some things around in my crab tank today, and I accidentally uncovered a molter. I moved him into an ISO tank and grabbed all the pieces of his exoskeleton too. I put some local organic honey in with him, because I know it can give him some energy, along with the usual saltwater, freshwater, and food. Is there anything else I can do? Did I screw up big time? I'm honestly *******g out!
6 PPs: Shelldon, Kingler, Delilah, Bubba, Steve & Harvey R.I.P: Indie 1 tortoise: Digger 1 Cat: Sammie 2 Dogs: Josie & Louise

Geranium

Uncovered Molter

Post by Geranium » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:03 am

Just breathe. His tank needs to be in a quiet place and dim. I cover most of the tank with a towel to give some darkness and privacy. Leave him alone, only change out waters. I'd put in some dry food stuffs that don't need to be changed out as often such as worm castings, powdered cuttle bone, etc in case he starts moving around and is hungry before you notice.

Topic author
ILoveHermies

Uncovered Molter

Post by ILoveHermies » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 am

I covered his cage with a towel because I knew he needed darkness. I'm just really concerned as this is my first molter and he's also my favorite crab so I don't want anything to happen to him, or my other crabs for that matter!
6 PPs: Shelldon, Kingler, Delilah, Bubba, Steve & Harvey R.I.P: Indie 1 tortoise: Digger 1 Cat: Sammie 2 Dogs: Josie & Louise

Geranium

Uncovered Molter

Post by Geranium » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 pm

I understand. Been there. Do you best to give the ideal conditions and quiet is important.