Crab randomly ditches shell

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

Topic author
Amanda2

Post by Amanda2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:48 am

So I was checking on my crabs this morning and I saw an exo sitting under a piece of cork. My first thought was, surface molt! But there was another crab blocking the way out so I moved him to another tank. But then the exo moved, my crab was naked and there was no other shells by him except the one he just ditched!? I covered that corner of the tank with a dark cloth so he would feel safe. What is happening?!

jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:00 am

Some crabs ditch the shells last minute. E's I;ve read, do this a lot but others sometimes will if they're too exhausted to move it. ISO it or cut a bottle to go over so the others don't bother it. then give it several shells and if it's week provide a tiny bit of peanut butter and honey but make sure it can't get stuck in it also provide water.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Hermitcrabs only streak for two reasons one their sick and too weak to lug the shell around and two they are overheated and have made a last ditch effort in cooling down.As I don't know the specific parameters of your enclosure ie temp and humidity I can't say for certain if the shell ditching was caused be unstable temp or humidity.There is a third possible cause for naked hermits which is shell disputes or fights which typically ends up with one crab pulling or forcing out the existing occupant of a shell the aggressor wants so this could be the cause but I just don't know...
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Amanda2

Post by Amanda2 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:56 am

Update: I saw him in his shell last night but now is back out. He still has the cloth covering and he is alone but he won't get back in his shell!Here are my answers:1) How long have you had your crabs and how long have you been caring for this particular crab in distress? I've had the naked crab( Lewis )for one year2) What size is your tank and what kind of lid do you have? He is in my ten gallon 3) What are you using for heat? Please be specific and include fixture type, watt or mat size and where the heat source is mounted.It is plenty warm in there tank without a heater.4) What kind of substrate do you use in your tank and at what depth? Is it dry or damp and sand castle consistency?forest bedding/playsand, damp, three times as deep as one Lewis 5) Do you dechlorinate your fresh water and if so, with what product? Do you offer aquarium salt water in addition to fresh water? Again, what product? Distilled fresh water, pre made saltwater solution-all living things6) What do you normally feed your crabs?Anything on the food list or pre made crab food7) Do you bathe, mist or handle your crabs at all?no bathing,occasional handling, yes misting there tank8) What are the temperature and humidity readings? Please be specific and include high low fluctuations if you're aware of them.I test with my hands, it's prety warm and humid.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 am

Since you don't have any gauges to tell you what the temp and humidity levels are your tank might be getting some humidity fluctuations which will result in the hermitcrab overheating when the humidity levels are too high since the crab can't cool down by allowing its shell water to evaporate.Hermitcrabs will also encourage shell water evaporation by fanning the water with their hindmost legs and when cooling off via evaporating shell water doesn't work they will start hanging further and further out of the shell until it becomes necessary to actually abandon it to keep cool.You might also want to gently and carefully run your finger up inside the shell as there may be a foreign or sharp object lodged in it which is causing the crab to experience abdominal discomfort which will also result in the shell being dropped.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Topic author
Amanda2

Post by Amanda2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 am

he didn't make it

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:43 am

@Amanda, I'm so sorry, I know how it feels you do everything you can and know to do and still the poor thing just doesn't have it to pull through leaving you to wonder what you did wrong or possibly could have done differently...Remember this its not your fault, these animals suffer so much abuse and stress before they get to us that the effects of the damage done tends to linger with the crab for years.Typically a new hermitcrab is considered out of the woods when it molts for the first time with us but over the last few years were noticing that the ill effects of the abuse and neglect they received just trying to get to us are lasting longer and longer regardless of how many times the crab molts.This condition is known as PPS or post purchase stress syndrome and not a sickness in and of itself but rather a blanket name for a variety of issues that afflict newly purchased hermits.Again I am sorry for your loss.
#Autism Speaks.