Is my crab in trouble?

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

airbenderandi

Is my crab in trouble?

Post by airbenderandi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I have three PP's in total that I adopted a little over a month ago. They've all been doing quite a bit of digging, and for a while all three were underground. A few days ago one of them (Ted) came up after being underground for at least three weeks, and has been drinking a lot of water, eating a decent amount, and looking pretty gray. Today I was spot cleaning the tank, and I accidentally caved in part of a tunnel that Lily had made that I didn't know was there. I noticed she was around the part that was caved in because I saw some sand move after I have the area a little squirt of water. At this point Ted was just in the corner of the tank.Fast forward about half a day, and I see Lily on top of the little spot that had caved in. It looked like something was under her, so I lifted her up to see Ted underneath!! But he was out of his shell (next to his shell), not looking very good at all. I poked him with a paper towel and he moved some, and his antennae moves every so often, so I can tell he is not dead at the moment. Lily keeps coming over to the spot where Ted is, and I'm worried that Ted is pre-molt and Lily is trying to attack/eat him. But it's also possible that Lily is just trying to get back into her tunnel. What do I do?? I don't have an iso tank ready, but I can whip one up quickly if need be to put Lily in.Please help!Update: Ted is moving around quite a bit, and it looks like he's trying to get back into his shell. Is he going to be okay?

Topic author
Crabber85

Is my crab in trouble?

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm sorry your having such trouble but we are here to help you get through this as best as possible.Before I can get started I need you to copy and answer the questions found here to this thread so I can get a better idea of what might have caused the shelless crab to streak in the first place.You definitely need to separate the crabs because the streaker if vulnerable right now and his tank mate could quickly make a meal out of him in his current predicament.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

crazycrabber

Is my crab in trouble?

Post by crazycrabber » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:00 am

he might be to weak to carry his shell, in that case, yes move him, and give him a lighter shell, see if he'll try it on, if he doesn't then, well step 2, me or somebody will tell you a step 2 plan, but first you got to answer those questions.
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.