One of my biggest crabs is running around naked!

Where to post and/or get advice if your hermit crab has dropped its seashell. If your crab has molted AND gone naked, please post in the Molting forum.

Bybo

Post by Bybo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:14 am

my biggest crab bomber is running around naked. I think I scared him and his brother while they where eating on their block. I saw him fall to the coco fiber and just run out of his shell. What was weird was that even though he has at least 20 shell to try on, he tried to cram himself into a small one. What should I do? He has been like this for a least an hour
I love my crabs!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:10 am

@Bybo, if you can try to iso him with the shell he had on previously and a few others of similar size and shape.Leave him in iso until he re-shells and keeps the shell on.Right now he is very vulnerable and could become the victim of a cannibalistic attack by his tank mate.I would have replied to your emergency earlier but I just got back from taking my late fathers tax return documents to our CPA.If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Bybo

Post by Bybo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't have an iOS tank right now so he's in a green tub with 4 in coco fiber in the tank. The walls are high enough so he stays in and the others stay out. He also is really slow, is there a reason for that? Thanks!
I love my crabs!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:26 am

@Bybo, he is slow because he is weak and exhausted which is one of the primary reasons hermitcrabs drop their shells and streak, if they are not strong enough to carry the shell they will dump and run in order to get away from a perceived threat.When you scared him he dumped and ran because he just wasn't strong enough to keep the shell on which begs the question why was/is he so weak, what happened to cause him to fall into this condition?Has he recently surfaced from a molt?Has he been eating/drinking well recently?What are your climate conditions like ie. temp and humidity levels and any fluctuations recently?Your best bet right now is to just leave him alone its up to him now if he wants to pull through this one or not unfortunately there is not much more you can do to help him.Since he is so weak I doubt he'd be strong enough to eat a little raw/organic honey, you might try hand feeding just a very small amount to him, honey has remarkable healing properties because it contains a naturally occurring antibiotic/antimicrobial agent and is an easy to digest super food because it packs a huge energy punch gram for gram, if you can get him to take just a little of this today if might help him pull through but as I said earlier its really up to him in the end.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.