Why does my crab hang out of his shell occasionally?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Why does my crab hang out of his shell occasionally?

Post by MamaKelly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Any ideas? This crab has done this several times in the month and a half that we've had it. If we move too close or fast by the tank is goes back into the shell in a hurry.

The temp is 77, humidity over 76, shell a bit small probably but the crab picked it over the painted shell it was in last week and this behavior predates the shell change. Crab was eating and drinking overnight.

Not overly worried since the crab has done this before, just curious.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MamaKelly

Re: Why does my crab hang out of his shell occasionally?

Post by MamaKelly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 pm

As a plus, you can kind of make out a gel leg in the glare

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Another view

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Iv seen my crabs do this too. I usually turn on my fogger to cool them down (in case that's it). But a lot of times it looks like they are cleaning out their shell. Just my guess tho!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Usually crabs hang out of their shells when they overheat, or to clean/groom themselves.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:14 pm

One of mine is wedged in a corner doing this. Same thing going on?

He's not hanging out of his shell as much as he was when I found him.

Edit: The picture is sideways. In case you didn't notice already lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 pm

With your temp and humidity where it is, I'd say he's probably just cleaning out his shell.

Just in case....
Is he constantly like that? Does he seem weak at all? Are you sure your gauges are reading correctly? Any chemicals or cleaners sprayed in or around the tank? What are you feeding him?

Your substrate looks a little low, but that may just be the angle of the picture. You want it to be at least 3x as deep as your largest crab is tall.

Has he molted with you yet?

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:11 pm

CallaLily wrote:With your temp and humidity where it is, I'd say he's probably just cleaning out his shell.

Just in case....
Is he constantly like that? Does he seem weak at all? Are you sure your gauges are reading correctly? Any chemicals or cleaners sprayed in or around the tank? What are you feeding him?

Your substrate looks a little low, but that may just be the angle of the picture. You want it to be at least 3x as deep as your largest crab is tall.

Who is this to? Lol sorry.
My guy hasn't molted with me yet and it's been about 2 months or so /:
I hope my gauges are reading correctly but I plan on getting a better Hygrometer soon just in case.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:39 pm

CallaLily wrote:With your temp and humidity where it is, I'd say he's probably just cleaning out his shell.

Just in case....

No, not constantly or even mostly like that. He went back to a normal position after a while. Not weak, though he's less active than when I first acquired him but is still active at least some nights. I think that night he hauled himself and his shell over a stick to get to the salt water (I didn't realize that it was in a position to be tricky for him but he did it)

Sub is about 6" deep. He hasn't molted with me yet. I've had him about a month and a half. Previous owner had him about a year. Pretty sure he did not molt in that time. The response when I asked if the two crabs had molted was "we change the bedding every week" !!! I'm hoping he'll molt soon and get that leg back. It would be best if he'd wait until after I get taxes done and set up a larger tank.

I feed a variety of foods, fresh and dried, protein daily. Last night was an egg salad with hard boiled egg and olive oil, dried mealworms, dried banana, dried parsley. I think they got a steady diet of freeze dried shrimp from previous owners (no mention of feeding anything else). Fresh and salt water both now that they're with me.

No chemicals, I don't like them around my kids either. I'm confident in the temp, the humidity reads a bit low, from calibration.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Same crab in his old painted shell.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:06 pm

This guy had been hiding in a decorative cave but I thought I saw something moldy and when I was getting that out I noticed that the top level of substrate was pretty dry so I pulled him out to re-wet it. His gel leg has gotten a lot darker and it's easier to tell where it's segmented. Fascinating! I can't wait until he molts and gets that leg back.