I feel bad

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MadiCrab

I feel bad

Post by MadiCrab » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 pm

We bought the 3 hermits against my wishes & now I'm the one who is upset that 2 have died & 3rd one is too. I've been reading up on them since the st 2 died. I had no idea there was so much to them & kind of disgusted the racket theses store going on w these crabs. Btw I saw the peta video (so so sad!)

Spider-Man was doing well & went into hiding for a couple days. Me concerned for several reasons & my son dying to see him. I uncovered him some to see & his pincher came off. He's life less & his shell feels lighter.

He seemed fine. Was he gonna die anyway? Is he trying to molt & like posts say they don't make it? He was doing better in the harsh environment before I realized... Was this inevitable?

Anything I can do?
Depressed.

MsWorld

Re: I feel bad

Post by MsWorld » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Welcome to the I hate the pet store advice club! It is awful what these pet stores do, sell and tell people. If it wasn't for this forum mine would have had the same outcome.

If he's losing limbs I'm sorry to say he's probably not going to make it. The best thing for him now is to leave him be. The more you touch him, move him, etc the more it stresses him out.

Don't beat yourself up. We all were in your shoes at the beginning. Don't let this discourage you from getting more crabs if you feel like you want more. Just read up on the care sheets and get your set up prepared before going and getting some crabs. But before you go to the pet stores check here and the Facebook page as there are a lot of people who need their crabs to be adopted, which is a much better way to get the crabs.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:35 pm

We all start this way, not your fault! If you wish to continue, with the correct environment they will thrive... Mine have been crawling all night and it's only 10:30 here lol (that's rare). Most of us here take a hands off approach to crabbing and most of the time they aren't even out and about. Which makes the times they are so special! They really are great pets! If you don't want to support the treatment of crabs in the pet stores there are plenty of people on here in need of getting rid of their crabs (adoption section)! Good luck and again so sorry ;)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:32 pm

:( Thanks y'all.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:00 pm

I am so sorry. There have been cases where crabs with lost limbs have been nursed back to health, but this takes a lot of dedication and care.

You can try to make sure conditions are adequate and then offer a bit of raw honey on the end of a qtip. If it doesn't have claws you can gently hold the qtip up to the feeding appendages by the mouth.

Limbless crabs have mushed their faces into exo and eaten it after molts. The limbs can grow back.

I don't want to get your hopes up, they can regrow limbs, but once they start dropping them, they are often too ill to recover.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:32 am

He went down hill very fast & passed late last nite.

I'm scared that my other 2 will live. I'm trying my hardest & best for em. I'm gonna get som honey & peanut butter laid out today.

The tank was a wreck this morning so one or both had a party last nite.

I read the article on PPS & I know that's what happened to Spider-Man. My daughter is so upset w all 'vacation crabbies' gone.

Gosh I just hope my new ones don't go into shock.

Pins & Needles!