humidity?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
bbcraft22

humidity?

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 am

How can I keep up the humidity without covering the whole lid. What will happen to the crabs if I have a solid, not mesh, lid? They won't be able to breathe after a few days (correct me if I am wrong).
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

MsWorld

Re: humidity?

Post by MsWorld » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:36 am

You need a solid lid. They breathe thru their gills hence the need for humidity. With the solid lid they will get air when you feed them and change their water etc. The solid lid isn't air tight like a Tupperware lid.

Hope that helps!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am

@MsWorld is correct: having a solid lid (plexiglass or glass) does not harm the crabs in the least and definitely helps keep the humidity and heat in the tank. Many of us have hinged glass lids on our crabitats and they are truly a blessing! Just opening the front of the lid a few times a day to change out food, refresh pools or spot clean allows plenty of "fresh" air to circulate into the tank. Many of the lids come with a plastic strip at the back, ideal for cutting a small hole for air pump tubing.

Check out the hinged glass lids on Drs Foster & Smith website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supp ... /3730/3731
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

ok. That helps a lot!
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan