Never heard sound before kept me up all night

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
karlsisocoolike

Never heard sound before kept me up all night

Post by karlsisocoolike » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:56 am

My hermit crabs get a long very well, I've had them for about 3 years now and just recently since I've been more active in playing with them (I built them a little 'construction' site out of cardboard) they have literally spent the entire night making a high pitched noise that sounds almost exactly like their legs rubbing on the glass. It's quite a cute noise but I am starting to get worried because chirping is no good and it's not low pitched or anything of the type. I can't seem to find anything out there with a recording of this type of chirp either. It seems that my Ecuadorian is doing all the talking, he's surrounded by three other purple pinchers and they all do very well together so I don't know if he's upset or just talking or what's going on.
I'll try to catch a recording of it and add it to this feed. Just wanted to know if this was anything anyone else has heard? Sounds just like his legs rubbing on glass but it's not since I've held him and he made the noise a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcraft22

Re: Never heard sound before kept me up all night

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:58 pm

never heard of it! Are you sure it is the E? E's can protect itself VERY good if a different species attacks.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:01 pm

E's are usually the vocal ones, and he could very well be agitated.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:49 pm

From what I've heard, Es are more vocal and will chirp at anything whether it's being handled or they don't like a decoration in the tank.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Keg

Post by Keg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am

>>> a high pitched noise that sounds almost exactly like their legs rubbing on the glass.

Hi
Its possible they see a reflection of themselves in the glass and they are interacting with it by climbing the glass.
My crab interacts with the mirror all the time.

It a reflection possible with the available light at night?

Keg