Crab care isn't easy

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

kieagcarm

Re: Crab care isn't easy

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 pm

about20percent wrote:
alela wrote:Your crabbies are adorable!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'll try the wrap soon... and I know! They are stupid cute... that's why I want to take such better care haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My parents brought home crabs from nc about a month ago and after researching like you, I have since upgraded everything, and I have spent a ton of Money I did it all in two orders, though, and went with the best I could afford. I now have them in a 20g tall with the right substrate water accessories and shells. It's so worth it, they are unique creatures

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
about20percent

Post by about20percent » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:48 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I was also gonna say that plastic wrap over the top will help with humidity in the short term. :)

Whether you decide to rehome them or not, improving the humidity a bit now will be very good for them. I'd try to find a slightly bigger pool fer the little guys so that at least there's more surface area for evaporation, as that might possibly bring up the humidity a wee bit. Do you have a spray bottle? It isn't a great option, because its effect only lasts briefly and if overused can saturate the sub... but in the short term, light misting once in the morning & once at night could provide them with a little relief.

I'm going to assume you know why the humidity is important... but if not, please feel free to ask! We were all new once. :)

Caring for crabs is hard at first. But it seems like you're doing the best you can for your cuties. You're doing the research - it's a good start.

The crabs I care for were in pretty much the same conditions as yours for several weeks before I could get them into a better situation. And honestly, I'm still working on it. We can't know for sure exactly how well they'll recuperate in the long term. But in the mean time, just take a deep breath... try to remember that (though natural) getting upset won't help either you or them.

And alela is right about the sand - it will really help them. Adding coconut fiber will help keep it moist. (Also good for humidity!)

Do keep us posted. And ask any questions you have.
Welcome to crabbing!
Based on what I have read... I wanted like a 6 inch coconut fiber substrate... and yes I have a sprayer... I've been misting and giving them "showers" haha... I'll keep everyone posted... I guess I'll just keep replying to this topic. Thanks for all the help you two.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Hello.

If you want them to survive without gill damage or the wet calcium sand drying out and cementing them into their shells, it is a must to wrap the tank and switch out substrate ASAP.

I understand finances.

Find something, plastic wrap, foil, a towel...to completely cover the top of the tank.

Protein and calcium are super important. Boil a whole egg and smash it, shell and all, and feed it to them.

When feeding from your kitchen, make sure they don't get seasoned, brined, smoked or cured items (like ham, bacon, sausage, or lunchmeats).

They need to be at least at 75°F at the bare minimum. We recommend at least 80°F, preferably mid 80's.

I also want to throw out that 6" of substrate is the least amount for very small crabs.

I hope you are able to take care of everything as you can, but humidity, heat, and substrate are the most important for right now.

Waters are also vital. I read that you ordered Instant Ocean and you do have a dechlorinator, yes?

Best of luck!

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:10 pm

four rescue crabs came into my work and no one wanted them. not even our fish and reptile guy. i had one as a kid and love them so of course i took them! all i did was spend a little each pay check. so i slowly add to the tank.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Joanns fabric has a bag of various sized green turbos for about 3$.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Mareece

Post by Mareece » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Your crabs are crazy cute! I'm sure they appreciate all the effort, research, and money you're putting into their care
My adorable PPs: Charlotte, Peaches, Slowbro, and Jamarcus

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:31 pm

Awww! They are adorable!! Welcome to the HCA:) Ur doing a wonderful job trying to give them a good environment! Definitely look into changing their sub asap and Saran wrapping the top to trap the humidity. Easy fix especially since play sand at Home Depot or Lowes is like less than $5 for a 50 lb bag. And making sure the heat is over 75 degrees. Fresh food is better for them and also cheaper for us! When I'm prepping meals, I just put a few
Scraps on the side for the hermies and put the food in an egg shell. Everything else can be added as u go. Good luck !!

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:12 am

I got pkay sand from home Depot today for 3.79$. And all i do for cage stuff is every pay check get something. So im slowly building. Today i got a two light bulbs [one 7$ the other 8$. One is warmer and a regular light the other is slightly cooler and blue for nighttime.] And a dimmer light with a clam!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk