Is this sand safe?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Adastra1018

Is this sand safe?

Post by Adastra1018 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm moving the crabs to a bigger tank I thought I'd start over with new sand since I'll need more anyway. I want a white sand beach look and I know white playsand exists but none of my local home depots seem to have it. Just the super cheap quikrete brown sand in the clear bag we've basically all been using. I did find white sand but it's "fine grain" which I know can be bad for their abdomens and gills. This stuff didn't look any different but I can feel the difference when I rub it though my fingers. It's "commercial grade fine sand" by quikrete in the brown paper bag. Around 4-5 bucks for a 50 lb bag, so slightly more expensive. If anyone is familiar with this stuff or advises against it I'll have to continue my hunt. I have a picture on my phone I can post when I have more time if anyone needs to see the bag.

kieagcarm

Re: Is this sand safe?

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I use quikrete play sand and it's not brown. I get it from home depot in the building material section and it works fine. None of my crabs have been sick or died. They go under and come back up. I still have some left out of my second 50lb bag in a container under my bed, it's just premium play sand.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Kiegcram is right. The quickrete premium play sand is safe. It is like a beach sand, and runs aroun $3 per bag. The quickrete sand is an all purpose sand that you are referring to, that costs $5 a bag has some clay base in it, which is great for retaining humidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:38 pm

I just realized it'd be easier to post links from the website, haha.

This is what I'm using now, and I don't like the color.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50- ... /100318476

This is what I was wondering about.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-50- ... /100318518

The packaging is a different color though.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:39 pm

I ordered it online the first time I bought it and I didn't even know there were other quikrete sands until I went to home depot to pick up a second bag. When I looked in the garden section the sand was Brown so I knew it was not the same, I had to ask a worker to find out there was other quikrete play sand in the building materials section

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:52 pm

Both of there were in the building section. The one I'm using now I guess isn't brown, but it's tan and darker when it's wet. Anyway, It's not giving me the white sand beach look. I'm going to mix it with cocofiber of course. I'd like to do a sand to cocofiber transition I think so they can have a beach and a forest. I'm making some large pools out of left over plexiglass.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:10 am

It's probably fine, if you are concerned, wet a small bit and let it dry. If it brushes off easily from whatever surface it dried on you should be okay. Calcium sand hardens like cement, which is why it isn't considered safe. Fair warning though:The crabs poop will mean your sand will not stay white, and they will mix the coco fiber. Hope this helps. :)

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:29 am

I know it wont stay perfect. I'm all about things looking natural anyway. I actually thought about blending it with what I have, but even so it'll be nicer looking than what's in there in my opinion.

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:57 am

I should also probably add that the stuff I'm considering is normal playsand/ all purpose. It's just a bit of a finer grain. The fine grain is what I'm concerned with. Just to clarify and avoid confusion. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 am

When I first started crabbing, I did half of my tank actual beach sand, and the other half eco earth. The crabs mixed it themselves ~ in less than a month. True story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com