Aussie Breeding Success Dec 2016/Jan2017

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:33 am

Well folks. In January I went into meltdown (almost) trying to get totally unexpected zoea to land. I actually managed to get 6 to land but they failed to survive their last moult.
I am being given another chance now. I checked on my crabs just before going to bed last night (Sat 3rd Dec 2016) and noticed Mango up on top of the salt pool for about the 4th time that evening. I was a little suspicious of this behaviour.
We had a stinking hot day on Saturday and in the evening a huge thunder storm.
Current Conditions - Goonellabah Saturday evening

As of 21:00 Saturday, December 3, 2016
Outside Temp: 22.5 C
High Outside Temp: 36.2 C at 13:25
Low Outside Temp: 21.8 C at 03:48
Outside Humidity: 0%
Inside Temp: 27.4 C
Inside Humidity: 54%
Heat Index: 20.0 C
Wind Chill: 22.8 C
Dew Point: -130.0 C
Barometer: 1011.1hPa and Rising Slowly
Wind Speed: 6.4 km/h
Wind Direction: NNE
High Gust: 48.3 km/h at 18:18
10 min Avg Wind: 6.4 km/h

I went to check on crabs at 1130am Sunday morning and noticed zoea in the salt pool. Took me a while to sort out my stuff from last attempt and get things set up but at about 1630 I transfered the water with zoea from the tat into my make shift Kreisel jars. This is again a foam esky water bath with fish tank heater warming tap water to 30c... a jar in this bath with ocean salt water and the zoea in it. 2 airstones to get good circulation.

Improvements this year.
1 I have a far better idea how old they are within about 12hrs so Sunday 4th is certainly day 1
2 I am actually a bit more prepared for this now
3 I've already modified the transition pool by adding coarse sand to the exit ramp. We (Natalie VA and I) think that this was the major issue with many dying during their final moult. I am also thinking that the water was a little warm in the transition pools so am looking at moving the heat mat away from the water pool this time
4 I am ready to document this attempt way way better than last one.

Wish me good luck folks.
Last edited by Renroc on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

kieagcarm

Re: Aussie Breeding attempt #2 Dec 2016

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:38 am

I just woke up and this is exciting, can't wait for pictures! Prayers, blessings and crossed fingers!

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 am

This was at 1130 am Sun 4th Dec 2016https://vimeo.com/194224880

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Renroc on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 am

How exciting Renroc! Try not to be hard on yourself! You are doing the best you can! I'm praying for you! Hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:10 am

Good luck!
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Ohh, how exciting! :) I look forward to all future updates, hopefully things go well for you! :)
*Fingers crossed*
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Monday 5th December Day 2
Weather It is going to be a really hot day again.

What has happened?
Checked at 0730 and all seems good except the water is only at 24c so maybe the heater isn’t working. The light is on though so there is no way to test it. Took out some water and added some hot water to bring the temp up.
Bought a new 55w heater before swimming. Dashed in at 11 to throw it in the water bath which was still warm so maybe the other heater is working but needed longer to warm it up.
Looked into the tat and noticed more zoea in the salt pool. It can’t be left overs as I tipped them into a jar and rinsed the pool. SO maybe another crab or the remainder of Mango’s brood laid today.

1415 Did a 50% water change in the first jar and then tipped the pool into a cylinder jar (from last time) and added a bit of water.
These crabs are going to send me mad. :-) :anon:

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 am

this is so exciting!!!

:crabbigsmile:

sounds like things are going well congrats!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:43 am

YASSSSS. lol I am so excited for you! I'm definitely looking forward to all the updates and all 20 fingers and toes crossed for you!! :clap: :cheer: :banana: :crabbigsmile:

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 am

Water changes done 2 times today. 2 batches of crabs in different jars. Acquired some 150mm poly pipe and a small fish tank. A friend is going to get the pipe to fit into the tank and cut a rectangle in the top. YES I am doing a home made Kriesel tank. Going to use the riser from garden irrigation system as the air delivery pipe and blu tac it to the edge till I get it in the right position. This may not be ready in time for this batch but I will have it for the next lot.(That's what the plan was in February after my first attempt)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:20 am

This is exciting! I wish you the best of luck! :D
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 am

Ok We are at the end of Day 4 on lot one and Day 3 for lot 2.
Lot 1 seem to have a heap of debris in the water and I've had to do 2 water changes this afternoon and tonight. I am pretty certain they have got to Stage 2.
Going to need to get some more salt water tomorrow.
Have a Kreisel in the making. The pipe is cut and ready to be sealed into the tank to form the inner chamber. Then to work out air supply points to get good circulation. I think I may need 2 air tubes as the chamber is over 30cm long.
Curlz are you here? Any suggestions from anyone who has built their own would be appreciated.

Ginger who I have sexed as female in 2012 seems to be exhibiting signs of male by chasing the females. It was Ginger who I caught eating the female who (I think) deposited eggs last time. Ginger had spent overnight in iso the other night and seems to be a little less agro since then. Still very active though. Will need to get a closer look at the underside.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:23 am

May I ask what you are feeding them? I plan on attempting breeding when I'm an adult, so I've been recording what people are feeding, what kinds of tank they make, water conditions, etc.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:39 am

Very interesting! Thanks for the updates! I too would love to see pictures of your crabitat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:38 am

OK we are up to day 5 today. Water was very cloudy this morning so I did a change then and another this afternoon. I suspect that means they are now at Stage 2. :clap: The next few days will be interesting as they will be starting to eat and will munch on each other in preference to most other food. As luck would have it I am going away for the day on the weekend. So I will make sure I add a little food before I go. I found very very fine Beta fish food worked well last time so that will be the next step. Yesterday I went through a heap of shells and picked out the tiny tiny ones and the just tiny and put into 2 bags. One for now and one for in a little while. Thanks Natalie :cheer: for the shells (after last time)