Meet one of our crabs n maybe you can tell me sex n if it's

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Meet one of our crabs n maybe you can tell me sex n if it's

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Was moving something's around n gettin heater adjusted and took one out to 'bathe' a minute lol while got things moved around! Feel free chime in......ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

friesb4uxbabe

Re: Meet one of our crabs n maybe you can tell me sex n if i

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 pm

If it has two little dots under its abdomen, its a female. No dots means its a male.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:03 pm

im sure you already know but bathing your hermits is not needed and can even mess with the water mixture they keep in their shells. as well as many hca members are against handling their crabs. i personally do handle my hermit whenever they are out an about if they do not flinch from my hand or move away but only inside their tank. that way i know its warm enough and humid enough to cause no stress or as little as possible; on top of doing it very rarely.

as far as sexing your hermit goes you need to be able to see the underside of the crab to see the gonopores...or not see the gonopores lol.

looks like a happy hermit though!

:crabbigsmile:

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:41 pm

friesb4uxbabe wrote:If it has two little dots under its abdomen, its a female. No dots means its a male. Image

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:50 pm

Would u say crab is medium size? N for sure a PP due to his pincher?

Starview66

Post by Starview66 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Highmighty217 you should really take into account what just jay wrote. The crab looks healthy, just wondering why you are so concerned on wether male or female and how can you tell from what it looks like Ontop of the crab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:54 pm

It's a Purple Pincher; it looks to be a small medium. How long have you had it? It looks to be in desperate need of a molt. It's also in a shell that PP's don't favor if they have a choice. They prefer turbos much, much more.

Like the others have said, bathing is stressful, unnecessary and probably harmful. Handling also isn't in their best interest. They actually hate it and fear for their life every time you pick them up.

What are you tank conditions like?
Last edited by mool on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Umm, its a PP? if you want to know the gender, you have to look underneath. If you want us to help you out - as you may be a bit unsure - try taking pictures underneath the crab. More info can be found here: click and can also give you a starting point. :)
mool wrote: It's also in a shell that PP's don't favor if they have a choice. They live turbos much, much more.
Well, most choose turbos. However some PP's - and other species - do enjoy being the oddball/individual and sometimes prefer/choose shells that others of their species wouldn't "go to". As long as the shell is in one piece and not painted, then they fine. Providing an assortment of different shell types and sizes will ensure all "tastes" are met and that all crabs have an option.
They actually hate it and fear for their life every time you pick them up.
Once again, most do. Over the years, there's been a few crabbers that have "developed" a connection in one or more crabs; especially in cases when a crab lost most/all of their limbs and required regular handling. But yes, as a general rule, we do advocate at HCA a hands off approach - unless its an emergency or a new crab(s) being bathed - but regular handling is not required. Like others have mentioned, its believed to be highly stressful for the crabs - you are the "predator" - and the crabitat has the appropriate heat/humidity that often our homes don't replicate.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:25 pm

Starview66 wrote:Highmighty217 you should really take into account what just jay wrote. The crab looks healthy, just wondering why you are so concerned on wether male or female and how can you tell from what it looks like Ontop of the crab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have very much taken into account what Jay shared Image I'm sorry as I was confused that the dots where on top of the back of the abdomen. Forgive me, as a new crab owner.

Is there a reason I can't know the sex of my crab? Did not realize this was a issue to know.....

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:10 am

Highnmighty217 wrote:Is there a reason I can't know the sex of my crab? Did not realize this was a issue to know.....
(http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92519) ;) Might help.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

mool

Post by mool » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:38 am

I don't know the gender of any of mine. It doesn't matter in the least to me and I've never bothered to look. If you want to know, see the link above. You are looking at the wrong side.

It's not a great idea to let a crab dangle out of it's shell like that. I've heard of crabs falling out before.

Since you are new to crabbing, take the time to read up on all of the care sheets, linked here: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 51&t=92457

If you could also fill out this template, it would help us see the big picture, which in turn, will help you make any adjustments necessary:

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Crabs can live years or even decades if you take proper care of them.

mool

Post by mool » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:43 am

Also, I'm having a difficult understanding what you are writing. When you write the lower case letter "n" do you mean "and"?

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:01 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Highnmighty217 wrote:Is there a reason I can't know the sex of my crab? Did not realize this was a issue to know.....
(http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 67&t=92519) ;) Might help.
Thanks for the resource. Want to acknowledge we did not pull out to find out the sex, we were cleaning.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Thank you Mool for the info. Didn't realize that was a stressful thing for them to come out that way as they always seemed so playful. Image Also, I apologize for the mistyping, I tend to type the way I text. Yes N is my and lol so sorry!

Got first crab mall kiosk Aug. 28th, crabby.... Our daughter begged n used her won birthday money...we walked away $65 later....

Looked up a bit about them n learned the gravel KK was not a permeant thing so we found a setup on Craigslist, got it, and went to get a few more supplies at the pet store were I was talked into 2 more so that Crabbie didn't get lonely. ImageImageImageImage

So Sept 8th we brought home our 2 more crabs & got their home setup.
Oh, if I knew then what I know now....$30 or more later we had our 6 inches

We have since moved out the big walking steps as we realize it didn't leave enough room, crabs have all left there painted shells n those have been thrown away....

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:06 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

One shown above but since cleanings ect it's 6inch depth has went down. I have purchased play sand and Eco Earth loose coconut fiber substrate (not sure how I wanna do that or should n can't right now as I have 2 down)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes AccuRite that was recommended here, located front n center of tank.
93% humidity
72% temp

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Ultratherm 11X6 (I believe) what was recommended here for our 10 gallon, placed on the back left side

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Zoomed freshwater mixture, I go by the bottle and make a gallon at a time, usually just buy a gallon of distilled water n treat it.

Saltwater I was using ZooMed as well I realized it was not recommended and switching to Instant Ocean (was easily found on Amazon) Unless another is recommended?

Water changed out daily.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Started with store bought n realized early on they weren't recommended....

I bought foods from HermitCrabPatch: soil diet supplement, bugs n breakfast, surf n turf, a lil' bit of everything and Natural Mineral Supplement (saw it was good for molting crabs and our first n largest one had just molted for 4+ weeks)

Also have tried grapes and carrots.

Usually leave the HCP foods in there a week and been adding in the fresh stuff and removing it the next morning.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

All PP's I believe
Crabbie- Aug. 28th
2 others unnamed - Sept. 8th (medium that I showed pic above and very very small one)

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Crabbie- 2nd molt now
Smallest one first molt now (as soon as we got the heating issue going)

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon aquarium with screen lid, use press n seal

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Crabbie seems medium/large
#2 medium
#3 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

There's 4! Definitely need more shells, went yesterday to Hobby Lobby after reading on here this weekend & of course they are closed on Sunday, wasn't thinking so my sister is shell shopping for me today (everyone thinks I'm crab crazy now anyway, especially since I told them I found a forum about all things crab)

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Once a week I try and move things out clean off top layer, smooth things out.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Moss in a soap dish and even some on sub n they crabs love to lay in it, makes for a huge mess. Tried do net but having trouble keeping it stable.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Not that I can think of, I have another 10 gallon I'd love to get set up as a fall back of a ISO but really looking for a 29 gallon I believe....unless any other thoughts on this?

Answered as honest and open as possible! Please be kind