Disappeared for 8 MONTHS???

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
brock1

Disappeared for 8 MONTHS???

Post by brock1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Our oldest and largest hermit crab Zeus buried himself back in June 2016, we assumed for a rest or a molt, although he had just completed a successful molt about 5 months earlier. We kept an eye out for him after a few months (given his size we assumed he'd need at least 12 weeks for a molt) but he did not appear - no exoskeleton, no smell, no crab, nothing.

We considered digging up the tank but decided to wait in order to avoid disturbing the other 6. After not seeing him for eight months he suddenly appeared this morning March 4, 2017 and appears fit as a fiddle, crawling around and interacting with the 3 smaller new comer we purchased in the meantime.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Was he sneaking out at night and just burying himself before daybreak? It seems incredible that we would not have seen shell nor claw of him for that long.

Anyone have a similar experience?

daws409

Re: Disappeared for 8 MONTHS???

Post by daws409 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow, that gives me hope! I have one that normally take 6-8 weeks to molt every 4-6 months. His last molt lasted 6.5 weeks and he came up Nov. 2, 2016. He went back down Dec. 14 which I thought was just digging at the time. Mar 1 made 11 weeks since he was last seen. They can and will have back to back molts! So I'm guessing he's molting again. Really hope he pops up soon. I'm starting to worry.

I've heard other members whose babies have been down 6+ months. So it's possible he had an extra long molt. It's also possible he came up during the night, went down before daybreak, and you just didn't notice/see him.

Love how they make us worry! :)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Very possible! It's hard not worry when you don't see them. If your tank conditions are correct just be patient! They are usually fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Our Chime has been down since the beginning of August 2016. I'm hoping all is ok in undersub world! Congrats on your big guy coming up healthy!!! Gives hope for the rest of us still waiting!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:56 am

As i understand it, as they get bigger their moult times get longer - not because the actual molting takes vastly longer, but because the moult takes more & more energy and so their recovery periods extend accordingly.

I'm not experienced myself, but I recall passing over posts where people report their crabs being under for really amazing lengths of time - try searching through older posts about long moults or presumed casualties. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am

Hi, 6-8 months ive read is normal for a big-jumbo crabbie. My guys are small-medium (1" shell opening) they go down for 25-38 days at a time. Some times a month or so after a molt. I hope these Underworld visits are helping to repair all the damage the harvesting and petstore horrors. Sounds like you are doing a great job! Can you upload a pic of this guy?
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes! I second CrabMater!! Pic please ^_^

Topic author
brock1

Post by brock1 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I was happy to oblige with a photo, but Zeus...not so much. Gave me a nice pinch when I put him in my palm, but I was able to get a PIC.
I'm not sure if he can be classified as Big or Medium - he's definitely the the biggest in our tank.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 pm

My big guy went down a couple months ago and i fully expected to not see him for half a year at least! He popped up end of week four with new sharp tips and he's baseball sized - __-
Could not believe it! They always have a trick up their sleeves.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 am

daws409 wrote:Wow, that gives me hope! I have one that normally take 6-8 weeks to molt every 4-6 months. His last molt lasted 6.5 weeks and he came up Nov. 2, 2016. He went back down Dec. 14 which I thought was just digging at the time. Mar 1 made 11 weeks since he was last seen. They can and will have back to back molts! So I'm guessing he's molting again. Really hope he pops up soon. I'm starting to worry.

I've heard other members whose babies have been down 6+ months. So it's possible he had an extra long molt. It's also possible he came up during the night, went down before daybreak, and you just didn't notice/see him.

Love how they make us worry! :)

one of mine has been down since before Thanksgiving. About 3 weeks ago the shell appeared but no crab. I'm hoping she went back down with a new shell.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:11 am

I know my crab Dusty takes several months to molt. I don't keep track of how long, I've noticed that if I keep track I get worried.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I know my crab Dusty takes several months to molt. I don't keep track of how long, I've noticed that if I keep track I get worried.
I couldn't agree more! When I don't see a crab, I know that's why they are down. I know eventually I will see them. If I were to keep track I would freak! One came up from a molt two days ago and changed into one of the larger shells that I had. I couldn't believe how huge he grew! He had to have been down for at least 4 months. I laughed at the shell difference! As long as your tank conditions are correct, don't worry! Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 am

GotButterflies wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:I know my crab Dusty takes several months to molt. I don't keep track of how long, I've noticed that if I keep track I get worried.
I couldn't agree more! When I don't see a crab, I know that's why they are down. I know eventually I will see them. If I were to keep track I would freak! One came up from a molt two days ago and changed into one of the larger shells that I had. I couldn't believe how huge he grew! He had to have been down for at least 4 months. I laughed at the shell difference! As long as your tank conditions are correct, don't worry! Image

Maybe I need to keep that in mind! I love keeping track tho cause it gives me an idea of when they'll disappear again and who's in what shell. ;)

Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 pm

daws409 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

Maybe I need to keep that in mind! I love keeping track tho cause it gives me an idea of when they'll disappear again and who's in what shell. ;)

So you like to drive yourself crazy with worry? LOL ;)

Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:25 pm

As soon as my 2 bigger guys got in their new tank, they went down what seemed like without food or drink stock up! It's been 3 weeks no biggie n completely aware they need a major good molt now they are in great conditions. On another note, we have one smaller guy that was down 2 months n after showing pics told he had a good molt. He has ate non stop! I completely believe he is scared of the big water bowls now in new tank! Will not go near that side of the tank!! I moved his food shell over by there as a experiment n he would not eat til I moved it back. He's super active even in the daytime which I've never heard of! Crabs take on a life of their own! Lol