Man oh man send advice and wisdom

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
GalliantlyTrivial

Man oh man send advice and wisdom

Post by GalliantlyTrivial » Tue May 30, 2017 2:01 am

I've been a crab owner since December, 2016. I love them and want to make sure there is plenty for these dudes to do! I have a 20 gallon tank, and it's long not wide. I want to know if they prefer having climbing things than crawling space. I see lots of tanks where there's very little crawling room there, but lots of climb! I also see setups with less climb and way more crawl. Do they have a preference? Which would you recommend? I think I have a petty good balance at the moment.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... e921ed.jpg
This is my setup. It's not a very good picture, but I think it's pretty even in terms of space and climb. I have crabs of three different sizes, so I slanted the substrate so it's deeper in one end. For my big guy.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Man oh man send advice and wisdom

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello! Molting space is very important. Substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper) all around. Then, you can add branches from safe trees in your area (trees that are on the safe list - and are organic - no pesticides or fertilizers used on them - and put them in for climbing space). Also make sure that they do not spray for mosquitos in your area. I also recommend that your pools are deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of. Have you see our care guides? http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457
How big are your hermits?
We are here to help you with anything that you might need :) Welcome!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Welcome to HCA!! Molting space is definitely more important! If your tank doesn't allow enough climbing room, you can always add a topper to it. Or you can just buy a bigger tank if you have enough for space for it. Check out OfferUp, LetGo, and CraigsList for used tanks. Search aquarium, fish tank, reptile, terrarium, or just tank.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed May 31, 2017 5:02 pm

Um... a question was asked about crawling space and no one mentioned hamster wheels?!
The latest cutting-edge technology in Designer Simulated Crawling Experiences for Crabs (TM) is here, and The People need to know about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO1LXg1 ... e=youtu.be

[mlakers' original video]

Edit - man, I could watch that all day. :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Man, oh man....I'm tired! lol! I just had to take two of mine out to rinse them because they were weighted down with so much sand!! Highly recommend the modified hamster wheels!!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com