Temperature,humidity questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Clelad

Temperature,humidity questions

Post by Clelad » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 am

Hi, I've had hermies since mid March and you've all been VERY helpful and supportive. I'm experiencing lower temperatures and humidity and not sure why. I'll copy and paste the original Q&A template and now I'll type in UPPERCASE , my crabitate corrections.
Clelad wrote few weeks ago...
NOT ER. JUST new subscriber looking for molting/destressing help. Thx.
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Ecoearth and sand. 5.5"-4.5"

IT WASN'T 5:1, IT WAS MORE EE AND I USED TREATED F.WATER AND BEACH SAND. ALL CRABS CHANGED OUT OF PAINTED SHELLS. ALL CRABS. WENT UNDER TO MOLT, TOOK TWO OF THEM TWO MONTHS TO MOLT. THIRD ONE DIDNT COME UP YET, I THINK. THEY ARE ALL IN GREEN TURBO SHELLS. AND I ONLY SEE ONE OR TWO AT A TIME AFTER MIDNIGHT. IN FEW DAYS IT WILL BE THREE MONTHS. THE SUBSTRATE WAS ABOUT ONE INCH TOO SHORT, SO FEW DAYS AGO I BEGAN ADDING ONE INCH MORE PER DAY. THIS TIME I DID 5:1 EE AND USED CORRECT OCEAN PRIME TREATED WATER. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MORE SAND IS MAKING IT COLDER AND LESS HUMID? I REPLACED HYGROMETER TO THE RECOMMENDED DIGITAL ONE, AND IT WAS READING TEMP. IN 80s and HUMIDITY IN 80-90 BEFORE I STARTED ADDING THE INCH A DAY FOR THREE DAYS.
I HAD ADDED THE MOSS PIT IN THE SHOWER CADDY AND DIDN'T NEED TO MIST EVERY DAY ANY MORE.

GB: Recommended that you have a minimum of 6" or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). It also needs to be cleaned playsand not just regular sand..(just wanted to clarify ;) ) Also, mix with dechlorinated marine salt water or dechlorinated fresh water to make it sand castle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Its a combo guage attached to lid, just read about calibrating it, so I'll do that soon, it seems like it varies. Now: temp 79 F , humidity 60, so i know hum. is wrong.

AFTER GETTING CORRECT DIGITAL, IT READ PERFECTLY, UNTIL I ADDED NEW SAND.

GB: definitely need to get humidity up. Minimum heat and humidity should be 80/80. Hermit crabs have modified gills. They need the humidity to breathe. Digital gauges are more reliable. Walmart sells an acurite digital gauge for $8. It's in the home section by the air filters.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 6x8" Reptile Therm under heater, UTH, attached on side above sub.
I LIVE IN SW FLORIDA, WE KEEP AC AT 80' DURING DAY AND 76' AT NIGHT. SINCE TEMPS WERE GOOD, I DID NOT SWITCH TO THE RECOMMENDED UTH.
I NOTICED MOSS LOOKED LIGHTER IN COLOR, SO I MOVED UTH TO OTHER SIDE OF TANK, SO IT WOULDNT DRY OUT AS FAST, MAYBE THATS WHY TEMP LOWER, BUT NOT HUMIDITY?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both, salt from Gulf of Mexico. (I live near beach) Fresh- mixed with Stress Coat. 6mil Stress Coat to 15.36 oz of tap water.
SWITCHED TO RECOMMENDED SALT AND MIST WITH TREATED FRESH, NOT SALT.

GB: Okay. That should be fine. I have a fellow crabber that uses regular salt water from the beach and his crabs do fine. Just make sure you keep the water moving. Don't let it get stagnant.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? First wk. fresh fruit..banana, blueberries. Changed daily or every other day. Then they went under.
ADDED EGG SHELL, DRY MEAL WORM, CRICKET, SHRIMP FLUKER MIX, FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGIES AND PLAIN MEAT WE WOULD EAT. SAW THEM EAT ALL.AND GO IN BOTH WATER BOWLS

GB: Hermit crabs need a wide variety of food in their diet, and a lot of protein. Try to feed organic. They are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers. They have a food pyramid to follow:
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Safe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Dont know what kinds- 3. My son won for girlfriend at fair mid March 2017.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Maybe now.
5-30'17 and 6-9-17 and ?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gal fish aquarium with hood and working flouresent tube light.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? Three- quarter size. Two changed out of their painted shells after about third night.
ADDED TWO CHOLLA PIECES, HEMP NET, SHOWER CADDY MOSS PIT, HANGING SHELL SHOP AND MORE PLASTIC PLANTS FOR A SECOND LEVEL, BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND WHEN THE THIRD ONE COMES UP, IT MAY BE CROWDED, BUT 10 gal IS WHERE WE NEED TO BE NOW.

GB: You are a little overcrowded. It is really more humane if you can do 1 crab per 5 gallons for small /medium crabs. Large and jumbo need a lot more room. If you are able to upgrade I recommend it. Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, Varagesale, Bookoo are all great places to find a deal...so are garage sales.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Six
I PUT IN 3 MORE SHELLS IN THE UPPER LEVEL SHELL SHOP, BUT I THINK I NEED DIFFERENT SHELLS. NOT SURE WHAT SIZE I NEED. I'LL TRY TO ATTACH PICTURE OF SHELLS I HAVE. I THINK I NEED NEXT SIZE BIGGER, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT WOULD BE?
https://m.imgur.com/p69Qu0z

https://imgur.com/pXeozKp

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. This helps prevent shell fights. There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No.
NO

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Originally pet store sand for first 6 days then eco earth and sand. Done end of March.

GB: What kind of sand? BEACH

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No. Have plastic plants, plastic bowls, mist with salt water daily.
OCCASSIONALLY FRESH NOW

GB: Do not mist with salt water daily. The salt will build up and hurt the crabs. Salt doesn't evaporate, and therefore will build up on the sand. Be cautious misting constantly. It can lead to flooding.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Sorry, not ER Call. New to site. Trying to figure out if all 3 are molting. All three have been under for almost two months. I continue to change food and water every third day and mist daily. Two-three weeks ago i dug up two because we thought they were all dead. Found first one - he looked colorful and we put ecoearth back on top. Second one looked dead but no smell. After watching shell for good while he moved and went back under sub. So we didnt look for third one.
Appreciate any advise. I am very interested in learning how to care for our 3 little hermit crabs . clelad

GB: Never dig up crabs. Very stressful for them. Crabs love to dig. They dig to destress, to molt or just to chill out. Crabs are nocturnal. They could be coming out at night and you jus aren't aware. It is possible that they are molting. That does take time. Just be patient and change the food daily :) It's worth it! :)

Topic author
Clelad

Re: Temperature,humidity questions

Post by Clelad » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 am

https://imgur.com/vbvMYux
This picture, + one, is what I have

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Temperature,humidity questions

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh wow, this could get a little confusing. LOL! I'll reply GB for Got Butterflies in Capital letters and Bold also :)
Clelad wrote:Hi, I've had hermies since mid March and you've all been VERY helpful and supportive. I'm experiencing lower temperatures and humidity and not sure why. I'll copy and paste the original Q&A template and now I'll type in UPPERCASE , my crabitate corrections.
Clelad wrote few weeks ago...
NOT ER. JUST new subscriber looking for molting/destressing help. Thx.
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Ecoearth and sand. 5.5"-4.5"

IT WASN'T 5:1, IT WAS MORE EE AND I USED TREATED F.WATER AND BEACH SAND. ALL CRABS CHANGED OUT OF PAINTED SHELLS. ALL CRABS. WENT UNDER TO MOLT, TOOK TWO OF THEM TWO MONTHS TO MOLT. THIRD ONE DIDNT COME UP YET, I THINK. THEY ARE ALL IN GREEN TURBO SHELLS. AND I ONLY SEE ONE OR TWO AT A TIME AFTER MIDNIGHT. IN FEW DAYS IT WILL BE THREE MONTHS. THE SUBSTRATE WAS ABOUT ONE INCH TOO SHORT, SO FEW DAYS AGO I BEGAN ADDING ONE INCH MORE PER DAY. THIS TIME I DID 5:1 EE AND USED CORRECT OCEAN PRIME TREATED WATER. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT MORE SAND IS MAKING IT COLDER AND LESS HUMID? I REPLACED HYGROMETER TO THE RECOMMENDED DIGITAL ONE, AND IT WAS READING TEMP. IN 80s and HUMIDITY IN 80-90 BEFORE I STARTED ADDING THE INCH A DAY FOR THREE DAYS.
I HAD ADDED THE MOSS PIT IN THE SHOWER CADDY AND DIDN'T NEED TO MIST EVERY DAY ANY MORE.

GB: Recommended that you have a minimum of 6" or three times the height of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). It also needs to be cleaned playsand not just regular sand..(just wanted to clarify ;) ) Also, mix with dechlorinated marine salt water or dechlorinated fresh water to make it sand castle consistency.

GB: AWESOME ON THE CORRECTIONS!! :) WHATEVER YOU DO, JUST DON'T DIG UP CRABS! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SUCCESSFUL MOLTS! IF THE SAND IS SANDCASTLE CONSISTENCY THAT WILL BOOST YOUR HUMIDITY. IT COULD MAKE THE TEMP A LITTLE COOLER, BUT NOT MUCH. THE SAND IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LITTLE COOLER :)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Its a combo guage attached to lid, just read about calibrating it, so I'll do that soon, it seems like it varies. Now: temp 79 F , humidity 60, so i know hum. is wrong.

AFTER GETTING CORRECT DIGITAL, IT READ PERFECTLY, UNTIL I ADDED NEW SAND.

GB: SOMETIMES GAUGES NEED TO BE CALIBRATED, TRY THAT. ALSO, DON'T KEEP GAUGES ON THE SUBSTRATE. THAT CAN MESS THEM UP.
CALIBRATE GUAGE: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92540

GB: definitely need to get humidity up. Minimum heat and humidity should be 80/80. Hermit crabs have modified gills. They need the humidity to breathe. Digital gauges are more reliable. Walmart sells an acurite digital gauge for $8. It's in the home section by the air filters.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 6x8" Reptile Therm under heater, UTH, attached on side above sub.
I LIVE IN SW FLORIDA, WE KEEP AC AT 80' DURING DAY AND 76' AT NIGHT. SINCE TEMPS WERE GOOD, I DID NOT SWITCH TO THE RECOMMENDED UTH.
I NOTICED MOSS LOOKED LIGHTER IN COLOR, SO I MOVED UTH TO OTHER SIDE OF TANK, SO IT WOULDNT DRY OUT AS FAST, MAYBE THATS WHY TEMP LOWER, BUT NOT HUMIDITY?

GB: MY MOSS IS LIGHT IN COLOR ALSO, DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COLOR OF THE MOSS. JUST MAKE SURE THE MOSS IS NOT DYED. IS THE TEMPERATURE LOWER BC YOUR GUAGE IS ON THE SUBSTRATE?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both, salt from Gulf of Mexico. (I live near beach) Fresh- mixed with Stress Coat. 6mil Stress Coat to 15.36 oz of tap water.
SWITCHED TO RECOMMENDED SALT AND MIST WITH TREATED FRESH, NOT SALT.

GB: Okay. That should be fine. I have a fellow crabber that uses regular salt water from the beach and his crabs do fine. Just make sure you keep the water moving. Don't let it get stagnant.

GB: GREAT! ARE THE POOLS DEEP ENOUGH FOR THEM TO FULLY SUBMERGE IN AND SAFELY GET OUT OF?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? First wk. fresh fruit..banana, blueberries. Changed daily or every other day. Then they went under.
ADDED EGG SHELL, DRY MEAL WORM, CRICKET, SHRIMP FLUKER MIX, FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGIES AND PLAIN MEAT WE WOULD EAT. SAW THEM EAT ALL.AND GO IN BOTH WATER BOWLS

GB: Hermit crabs need a wide variety of food in their diet, and a lot of protein. Try to feed organic. They are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers. They have a food pyramid to follow:
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Safe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556

GB: AWESOME! CONSTANTLY ADD A VARIETY, OR SWITCH IT OUT. REMEMBER THEY CAN USUALLY EAT THINGS YOU ARE EATING WITHOUT SEASONING. IF YOU ARE HAVING SOME CHICKEN, CUT THEM A LITTLE BEFORE SEASONING. VEGGIES, PORK, FISH, BEEF, SHRIMP, ETC. THEY WILL LOVE IT, AND YOU WILL ENJOY SEEING THEM LOVE IT TOO! THEY EAT VERY LITTLE :)

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? Dont know what kinds- 3. My son won for girlfriend at fair mid March 2017.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Maybe now.
5-30'17 and 6-9-17 and ?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gal fish aquarium with hood and working flouresent tube light.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? Three- quarter size. Two changed out of their painted shells after about third night.
ADDED TWO CHOLLA PIECES, HEMP NET, SHOWER CADDY MOSS PIT, HANGING SHELL SHOP AND MORE PLASTIC PLANTS FOR A SECOND LEVEL, BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND WHEN THE THIRD ONE COMES UP, IT MAY BE CROWDED, BUT 10 gal IS WHERE WE NEED TO BE NOW.

GB: You are a little overcrowded. It is really more humane if you can do 1 crab per 5 gallons for small /medium crabs. Large and jumbo need a lot more room. If you are able to upgrade I recommend it. Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, Varagesale, Bookoo are all great places to find a deal...so are garage sales.

GB: SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING GREAT! JUST DO THE BEST YOU CAN. IF YOU START HAVING ISSUES WITH THE CRABS, YOU WILL KNOW IT IS DUE TO NEEDING A LARGER TANK 15/20 GALLONS. IN THE MEANTIME, NO MORE CRABBIES :)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Six
I PUT IN 3 MORE SHELLS IN THE UPPER LEVEL SHELL SHOP, BUT I THINK I NEED DIFFERENT SHELLS. NOT SURE WHAT SIZE I NEED. I'LL TRY TO ATTACH PICTURE OF SHELLS I HAVE. I THINK I NEED NEXT SIZE BIGGER, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT WOULD BE?
https://m.imgur.com/p69Qu0z

https://imgur.com/pXeozKp

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. This helps prevent shell fights. There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

GB: GREAT! YOU DEFINITELY HAVE THE RIGHT KIND OF SHELLS. GENERALLY, THEY LOVE THE TURBOS (THE GREEN ONES THAT YOU HAVE). THEY HAVE THOSE IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT TYPES. I JUST MEASURE THE OPENING OF WHAT THEY ARE IN, AND GO UP FROM THERE :) THEY WILL WANT TO BE ABLE TO FULL RETRACT INTO THEIR SHELLS. :) LIVING IN FLORIDA, CHECK OUT LOCAL BEACH SHOPS!!

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No.
NO

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Originally pet store sand for first 6 days then eco earth and sand. Done end of March.

GB: What kind of sand? BEACH

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No. Have plastic plants, plastic bowls, mist with salt water daily.
OCCASSIONALLY FRESH NOW

GB: Do not mist with salt water daily. The salt will build up and hurt the crabs. Salt doesn't evaporate, and therefore will build up on the sand. Be cautious misting constantly. It can lead to flooding.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Sorry, not ER Call. New to site. Trying to figure out if all 3 are molting. All three have been under for almost two months. I continue to change food and water every third day and mist daily. Two-three weeks ago i dug up two because we thought they were all dead. Found first one - he looked colorful and we put ecoearth back on top. Second one looked dead but no smell. After watching shell for good while he moved and went back under sub. So we didnt look for third one.
Appreciate any advise. I am very interested in learning how to care for our 3 little hermit crabs . clelad

GB: Never dig up crabs. Very stressful for them. Crabs love to dig. They dig to destress, to molt or just to chill out. Crabs are nocturnal. They could be coming out at night and you jus aren't aware. It is possible that they are molting. That does take time. Just be patient and change the food daily :) It's worth it! :)

GB: KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! :crabbigsmile:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com