Where to buy Hermit Crabs from?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ConfettiParadeSanta

Where to buy Hermit Crabs from?

Post by ConfettiParadeSanta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:08 am

I am very new to this forum but i have had hermit crabs (3PP in a 20 gallon tank)for a little under 2 years now. Recently one of my crabs passed away during a molt. Now i have 2 PP and i am thinking about getting 2 more. I have been looking for adoptable hermits on this forum for a while now and none have been shown in my area. So i am thinking about buying.

My issue is that I am very torn between buying Hermit Crabs from a local store that provides the "somewhat" appropriate tank housing (somewhat since the substrate is never deep enough in stores and other minor issues i have) vs going to a store that sells the hermits in a cage with totally inappropriate housing (aka beach town shops).

My dilemma is that yes i want to support the stores that bother to give the hermit crabs a "decent" housing since they are taking better care of the crabs BUT i feel horrible for the suffering hermits in the bad store cages and feel like i want to help them by taking them home and providing the housing they really need. But i don't want to support this bad hermit crab care behavior from those types of stores.

I am sure many other people on this forum feel the same way so i wanted to start a discussion and see what everyone's opinion is.

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_fiesta

Re: Where to buy Hermit Crabs from?

Post by C_fiesta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi!
If you purchase hermit crabs, those stores will continue to buy hermit crabs in huge lots because it's profitable. As painful it is to watch, the very best thing to do is not buy any hermit even if they appear to be suffering because it will help more hermits in the long run. You have to think long term and stay strong if you really want to help hermit crabs as a species.

Now, if you're near a beach town (and even if you're not), chances are there are lots of unwanted hermits that people bought and now they don't want. I HIGHLY suggest checking Craigslist! Especially this time of year, people buy them on vacation for their kids and then their kids get disinterested and the parents just want them gone. There should be some to choose from on Craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

I agree! Have you checked Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo? Some of those don't allow animal posts, but that doesn't stop people! I have found hermits on those websites. Don't give up hope on adopting! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Facebook groups too! I've gotten several through local buy sell trade groups, both animal specific and for other stuff.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ConfettiParadeSanta

Post by ConfettiParadeSanta » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks everyone! I have been checking this forum and CraigsList but i will check out the other sites suggested. It is so hard to not want to take the hermits from the bad stores. They are usually in a very bad situation. But i agree that i want to help future hermits and be an advocate for change in how these animals are kept in stores. I would hate to let neglectful stores profit from animal abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 am

If you find yourself unable to walk away, don't feel bad. I've "rescued" many from bad pet stores over the years myself. However, it was always with heavy losses. When they come from bad conditions rigjt after being collected, the likelihood of post purchase syndrome increases. Maybe a third of the crabs I tried to save made it, it got too heartbreaking to keep trying, and the stores didn't care because they were getting my money. I've had much better luck with adopting, even when their conditions haven't been the best, they somehow manage to survive. It could just be they were the hardy ones to start with.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram