Transporting crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
jdauby09

Transporting crabs

Post by jdauby09 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 am

Ok we r leaving for vacation tomorrow and are gonna be rescuing 3-4 more PP but not sure how to transport them...I have a 1 gal fish tank with 6 in of EE and a lid I was gonna take along with food and salt water from home...the tank is an octagon beta tank...we r gonna be gone for about 10 days and are getting the he crabs from a souvenir shop along with a bunch of new shells

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

C_fiesta

Re: Transporting crabs

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi!
Purchasing crabs from a souvenir shop is not rescuing them, it's purchasing them which in turns fuels the industry and encourage business owners to buy crabs in bulk which only rips more crabs out of their native home, out of the many only a few will live. I am not trying to bash your idea or sound harsh, but this is reality. I highly hope you reconsider and instead adopt (and truly rescue) crabs that were already purchased but are no longer wanted by their owners. There's plenty available on Craigslist and Facebook marketplaces, specially if you're in a coastal area.

If you do decide to go through with your idea here's what you need to know: you want to avoid having the full 6" substrate in their travel box because if they tunnel and molt while with you, it could be deadly for them in the actual traveling of the car (the rumbles and shift of the car could collapse the tunnels). 10 days is a long time to have them in temporary housing, but not impossible. Focus on keeping the temperature and humidity correct. It will be tricky while traveling. I wouldn't leave them in a hot car for any amount of time. I would use an insulated lunch sack to help regulate the temperature. I would give them wetted paper towels in the container. Also know, 3-4 crabs in 1 gal for even 10 days might trigger fights.

I wish you the best, and again I am not trying to sound mean, but I highly suggest you reconsider doing this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Hermias_mom

Re: Transporting crabs

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:59 pm

So in my area, almost no one posts crabs for adoption on public sites like Craigslist, etc. I've been looking for months. But you might find that the Craigslist site of the place where you're going to be on the coast has crabs looking for a new home. So you could still get new crabs at the beach (which would be FUN), but adopt them from previous owners instead of buying them from the beach shops. This would be better for the crabs (they get a new home and you get crabs less likely to die from PPS), avoids supporting the pet trade (which treats crabs horribly), and also gets you some new fun pets from the beach!

My two cents. :crabbigsmile:
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena